Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

shes going blind!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM
  • 16 Replies

my 2yr old toy poodle i adopted 3 weeks ago! i noticed   a large cloudy spot in her right eye and a small spot in her left eye. should i call the place where i adopted her from? i feel really bad because she hasnt adjusted into my house yet and she keeps banging into things and such, i even have to hand-feed her. i dont want her to become stressed and die early. advice?

puppy

~Alessandra~

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmb121906
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Call the vet and that place.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

tanya_marieh
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:44 PM

It sounds like cataracs but at 2 she shouldn't be getting them.  I would definately call the place you adopted her from.  It could be something the breed has problems with.  I hope you find out something.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Yes, call the adoption place.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

dosthepost
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Nope. When you adopt you adopt REGARDLESS of what medical problems may lie ahead of you. This is just something you have to deal with. I think you should've done the research on "toy" breeds. There's no real such thing as toy breeds, and those who ARE considered toy breeds are those that were INBRED until they were tiny. Because of that, 'toys' often, if not always, have medical problems.

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

dosthepost
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM

For the ladies saying she should call the adoption place, she needs to read her contract. MOST of them have an 'as is' clause. The dog she gets is hers regardless of medical problems. I brought a dog home with kennel cough, who gave it to the rest of my dogs, and I alone paid that bill. They won't do anything but tell her that she needs to get it to a vet.4

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

shecallsmemom04
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM

yes, you need to read the contract and yes, it does depend on where you got the dog.

but i don't just hand my dogs out to people and say "good luck" without another word.  and i wouldn't adopt my animals from a place that was so "unfeeling" either.  lots of adoption places care a little more about their animals then that.

i would certainly try to help someone, after only 3 weeks, in any way i possibly could.  i have people come back to me after months and years and i still help them if i can.

the first poster said call the place you got your dog from and a vet.  that is what i recommend.  i would definitely contact the place you got your dog from OP.  they really may help you.  but i would call a vet too, or see if the shelter can point you in a good direction for some help.

everyday 1 out of 600 pit bulls find a forever home. the other 599 die in shelters. that means, 599 pit bulls are killed every single day. SAVE a pit bull, EUTHANIZE a breeder.
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I would think you should take the dog to the vet to verify blindness and then call the place you adopted it from.  I've seen some court cases where people got refunded after buying a sick dog. 

Joyful6and12
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Definitely call a vet and have her seen. Your new pet is just like a child, albeit - covered in fur.  If you contract covers such things than great, but you should not delay treatment for this animals ailments.  

dosthepost
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:33 PM

She didn't buy a dog, according to her. She adopted one.

Quoting jabs54:

I would think you should take the dog to the vet to verify blindness and then call the place you adopted it from.  I've seen some court cases where people got refunded after buying a sick dog. 

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

dosthepost
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Large shelters, like the one I donate to and rescue from, do not have the funds or resources to care for every pets every ailment after it leaves the doors. Once it's out it's the responsibility of the owner. If the owner cannot afford the care, the dog comes back and gets adopted again, after they have done the vetting at their costs. But they do not simply hand out free medical care. They are already a no-kill shelter... which is nearly drilling them into the ground. They're far from unfeeling.

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

yes, you need to read the contract and yes, it does depend on where you got the dog.

but i don't just hand my dogs out to people and say "good luck" without another word.  and i wouldn't adopt my animals from a place that was so "unfeeling" either.  lots of adoption places care a little more about their animals then that.

i would certainly try to help someone, after only 3 weeks, in any way i possibly could.  i have people come back to me after months and years and i still help them if i can.

the first poster said call the place you got your dog from and a vet.  that is what i recommend.  i would definitely contact the place you got your dog from OP.  they really may help you.  but i would call a vet too, or see if the shelter can point you in a good direction for some help.

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)