Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Attachment Parenting questions *NO BASHING*

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:19 PM
  • 28 Replies

Oddly enough, nobody in the attachment parenting group has answered this and it's been up most of the day....so, I will see if I can get some replies in this group...

I am unable to breastfeed, so that is not the issue.  I LOVE to wear my son, but he is getting HUGE!! So, I will not be able to wear him as much.  Also, we are co-sleeping...is there a certain time when you are supposed to start introducing them to their own room?  He is only just getting ready to turn 4 months old so I'm sure I still have a while, but just getting some info cuz we didn't AP with our other 2 children.  I thought that I read somewhere before that you are supposed to begin 'weaning' them (not sure what all that entails) and ending the co-sleeping and all of that at around 6 months...again, I don't know, so looking for info.  Thanks so much!! :)

COME CHECK OUT MY GROUP! 
Anything and everything...EXCEPT disrespect

http://www.cafemom.com/group/105212  
                                          happy new year 2010

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanya_marieh
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I believe I started putting my DD down for naps in her own room and then just gradually moved her night time to her room also.  I'm pretty sure I started at about 6 months or so. 

mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:28 PM

What kind of carrier do you have? My 5 month old is about 23ish pounds and 25+ inches long and I wear her in a ring sling because she outgrew my Moby wrap. There are a ton of different carriers out there. I'm getting an Ergo carrier soon because I've heard they are pretty good.

I leave it up to the child about when they want to leave. My 3 year old sleeps in her own room, but my 2 year old has a toddler bed in our room right by our bed still and my 5 month old is in our bed. If you want to do it sooner than a year, I would probably start giving him naps in hisown bed now and slowly transition him out.

Women should not feel guilty if they are UNABLE to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are UNWILLING to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference.
A proud Christian, Republican, Breastfeeding, Attachment parenting, Extended Rear Facing, ANTI- CIO, Former fully vaxing, but now delayed and very selectively vaxing, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls and wife to my Marine!

Osstie
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I also started putting my son down for naps in his crib at around 6 months old.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:33 PM

You're not "supposed" to do anything. You can co-sleep as long as you feel comfortable with it.

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb3f.lilypie.com/oT80m5.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb2f.lilypie.com/l5OJm5.png[/img][/url]

no-drama-momma
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I am not sure what it's called actually...I am very new to baby wearing--only wore this child, not my others...I learned and got my first and only wrap from a fellow Cafemomer... It is basically just a long piece of fabric that you strategically tie around you... I am small though (barely 5 ft. tall and 110lbs.) and he is 24 in. tall and 17lbs.)...so proportionately (is that a word? lol), it is just difficult.

Quoting mommyof2grls06:

What kind of carrier do you have? My 5 month old is about 23ish pounds and 25+ inches long and I wear her in a ring sling because she outgrew my Moby wrap. There are a ton of different carriers out there. I'm getting an Ergo carrier soon because I've heard they are pretty good.

I leave it up to the child about when they want to leave. My 3 year old sleeps in her own room, but my 2 year old has a toddler bed in our room right by our bed still and my 5 month old is in our bed. If you want to do it sooner than a year, I would probably start giving him naps in hisown bed now and slowly transition him out.

COME CHECK OUT MY GROUP! 
Anything and everything...EXCEPT disrespect

http://www.cafemom.com/group/105212  
                                          happy new year 2010

Michelle451
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM

i agree

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

You're not "supposed" to do anything. You can co-sleep as long as you feel comfortable with it.

no-drama-momma
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I understand...but, it's not that I am 'uncomfortable' but he is starting to kick us a lot in bed and it hurts LOL.... I LOVE having him in bed with us though...he is mommy's snuggly little guy! LOL And, I mean we still "have relations" NOT with him in the bed though--he is in his pack 'n play then, so that's not an issue either (just throwing that out there cuz I have seen moms accuse co-sleepers of 'traumatizing' their child by "having sex in the bed with them")

Quoting Michelle451:

i agree

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

COME CHECK OUT MY GROUPS!  
http://www.cafemom.com/group/anything-and-everything 
http://www.cafemom.com/group/food_network  
                                              happy new year 2010

jennasmama2001
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I started out by putting DD for naps in her room around 5 months. When she was comfortable I started putting her down for the night in her room then bringing her to my bed when she woke up for her first feeding. My DD sleeps better in her own bed then in mne so I usually just feed her then put her back in her own bed .She is 8 1/2 months now . She still wakes up evey 2 hours to nurse so it can make for a long night going back and forth. LOL I dont know if that helps you any.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
jenniepepsi
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:37 PM

LOL my 6 year old still sleeps with me, and i still wear her on special occasions (when she is exhasted from walking, when she is sick and i have to go to the store, if we are in a dangerous place like an airport)

its whenever you feel he is ready. my DD is ready and able to have her own room, and has done so before, and loved having her own room, however when we left my husband, we moved in with my mom into one room for the both of us and it was easier for both of us to share a bed again to help releive the stress. we will be stopping soon, but its all about how you and your child feels. not what everyone else feels. thats what Attachment Parenting is all about. doing whats best for you and your little one. not doing whats 'right' or what is 'supposed' to happen.

CLICK THIS BLINKY TO FOLLOW ME TO

I am a CHRISTIAN, blended family, SAHM,  EXTENDED Wearing (still wearing at 6 years! Ask me how!) Extended co-sleeping, gentle disciplining, Attachment Parenting to my DD Ayla, I am submissive, with VERY traditional gender roles.
I LOVE EVERYONE. EVEN YOU!

jenniepepsi
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:39 PM

i definately know how othat goes. thtas one of the biggest reasons we are stopping pretty soon. sometime this year we will be out of my moms house again and she will have her own room for good. but having a 6 year old kick you full force in the back/side/stomach in her sleep is hell :P not to mention with how big she is getting, she now is able to wiggle and worm utnill im on the edge of the bed and she is taking up the whole middle of it :P

Quoting no-drama-momma:

I understand...but, it's not that I am 'uncomfortable' but he is starting to kick us a lot in bed and it hurts LOL.... I LOVE having him in bed with us though...he is mommy's snuggly little guy! LOL And, I mean we still "have relations" NOT with him in the bed though--he is in his pack 'n play then, so that's not an issue either (just throwing that out there cuz I have seen moms accuse co-sleepers of 'traumatizing' their child by "having sex in the bed with them")

Quoting Michelle451:

i agree

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)