Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When your cat dies...what to expect.

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:45 AM
  • 4 Replies

This is really bothering me. i have no idea why. I have a cat who is getting pretty old. He is still extremely active and no signs of illness but what if the day comes and he does die. Do they usually disappear outside and die? Do they go somewhere in house and find a corner and one day I am going to wake up to a stiff kitty.  I have only had 2 cats in my life. One ran away when we took her to the vet. The other one we had to have put to sleep.  But what if this time my cat dies at home? Can any of you prepare me for what to expect.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
afrw2007
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:48 AM

im not sure... i had a cat when i was a young child it ran off we assume somebody took it or it was killed because Kitty always came home, even found her in another city once where most of our family lived... and i had a kitten a few years ago had to give her away and he let her outside she paniced got hit by a car :-/

hopefully somebody will have some ideas, i am curious though my family is more for dogs and my household has no pets

AngelicaRenee
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Well, i've had a lot of cats and I actually only remember seeing 1 of them die (with the exception of a few kittens who didn't live very long :( ).. they were mostly indoor/outdoor cats, the one I seen dead though was an indoor only cat. She wasn't very old but had been having a few problems and one day we noticed we hadn't seen her around and the next morning we woke up to a very strong, awful smell in the living room. She had gone under the couch and died there :(

The cat I have now is 12 years old. she's still in good health but I know she doesn't have too many years left. I'm really worried about my 80lbs dog though. He's getting pretty old and his health really seems to be going downhill. I think I'll probably end up taking him in to the vet before he passes though, if he starts to look like he's suffering that is.

momma4vr
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:57 AM
my grandpas cat had a heartattack at my feet n died when i was 13ish. it was sad and i walked out then had to come back in and put her in a bag for my dad to come deal with it.
Lizzys_mommy13
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:05 AM

A lot of the time they go off and hide. If they are an indoor cat, you can expect to have a hard time finding where they hid themself. If they are an outdoor cat, don't expect to find them. One of my all time favorite cats when I was younger lived to be 21. He was my great grandmas cat and she got him before I was even born! When she passed we took him and her dog in and gave them a home. My mom and I went on a trip when I was 17 and came home to a VERY quiet house. We could not find that cat ANYWHERE! He was an indoor cat. The only thing we could think of is that he crawled under the house. We were working on the bathroom and had the shower wall taken out so if he got in the bathroom he could have gotten under there and it would have taken him under the house. We had to crawl under the house and rescue him a couple times because he did just that and got stuck because the exits were covered. My dad crawled under the house though and didn't find his body. He was old and sleeping more and more... It makes me sad that we never knew for sure what happened to him. My mom thinks that maybe he passed while we were gone and dad took him out and buried him in the pasture or under one of the old oak trees and then didn't want to tell us what really happened....

The greatest thing in the world is a child!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)