Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure what to do

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM
  • 6 Replies

My son is 2 and refuses to eat anything other than snacks. When lunch and dinner time comes around he refuses to eat and if he does, it's just a few bites. I've tried taking all his snacks away, but it doesn't seem to matter to him. He'd rather starve than eat his dinner. (and I'm not a bad cook or anything...it's good food lol) I've tried time out when he doesn't eat, sending him to bed early if he doesn't eat, rewards for when he DOES eat, praise when he eats... nothing really seems to work. I'm worried, because I don't want him to be malnourished.

Has anyone else gone through this and found a solution? Please help!!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cmjarvis
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I USED TO BABYSIT A CHILD LIKE THIS AND THE PARENTS JUST SENT THEM TO  THEIR ROOMS TO AT LUNCH TAKE A NAP AND FOR THE DINNER IF THEY  DIDN'T EAT THEY WENT TO BED WITHOUT DINNER. AND THAT WENT ON FOR ABOUT A WEEK OR MAYBE MORE BUT THEY DID END UP EATTING . FEED HIM PEDISURE SO HE IS GETTING SOMETHING. GOOD LUCK MAMA. HE IS GOING THROUGHT A PHASE IT SHALL PASS. MY SON IS ONLY 5 MONTHS OLD AND I KNOW HE WILL GO THROUGHT THIS TO.

baby boy

CullenLover
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM

it's a phase, my dd is 5 and she is going through it again after being sick. her ped said mom a child wont starve they will be alright. they will eat when hungry, so ive learned that if she doesnt eat what i fix not to worry try to offer soemthing that is their favorite/

mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I'm going through this with my 2 year old as well. She is on an amost liquid diet right now because the only thing I can seem to get in her is Carnation instant breakfast or pedisure. She won't touch any food almost. It's driving me crazy. I haven't been pushing her too much because her molars are coming in and I know they have to be hurting her and maybe that's why she doesn't want to eat. My mom said that she's not going to starve herself and she will eat when she's hungry, but she's starting to worry me because she's losing weight.

Just offer him whatever he actually will eat for now and he'll eat when he's ready.

Women should not feel guilty if they are UNABLE to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are UNWILLING to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference.
A proud Christian, Republican, Breastfeeding, Attachment parenting, Extended Rear Facing, ANTI- CIO, Former fully vaxing, but now delayed and very selectively vaxing, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls and wife to my Marine!

SheWoman
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Sounds like you've tried a lot. How long did you try each approach? You may just need to give it more time. At that age, eating or not eating is one thing that they can control.

I know my daughters eat better when I do a serving at a time on their plate, instead of a plate full of food. I just do small servings and give seconds if they want.

My youngest is a snacker too, but she has finally gotten to where she's eating better at meals, she'll be 4 the end of May. When I offer snacks, I only offer healthy snacks. If she eats her meals she may get a more junky snack for dessert. i.e. ice cream, popsicle, debbie cake, or something of the sort. But she doesn't get it after every meal.

Good Luck.

lovemypeanut912
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM

i agree - it's a phase - my pediatrician said when my DD did this, "she'll eat when she's hungry."

canthaveboys1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Its a phase, my 5 y/o is going through it. I make her sit at the table until she is done, or she goes to bed hungry if she has been there forever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)