Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i was listing to this on the radio...hmm interesting

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM
  • 5 Replies

Moms are the new Internet junkies! According to Parenting magazine, many young mothers are addicted to blogs, message boards, and virtual-world sites like Second Life. In the most extreme cases, addicts don’t bathe, neglect their children, and use drugs to help them stay up later for more Internet time. Now, not everyone’s problem is bad enough to need professional help, but if you’ve noticed that you’re missing out on time with your baby, or leaving the laundry unwashed a little longer than you should - you might be susceptible to the addiction of the Web. Here are some reasons the Internet is so appealing to new moms:

• Moms are alone most of the day. They’re desperate for someone to talk to, so they find a community online. Coleen Moore is the coordinator of resource development at the Illinois Institute for Addiction Recovery in Peoria. She says that addictions fill a void, whether emotional, spiritual or physical. For a lot of new moms, the void is the isolation of being home alone with a demanding newborn. They turn to the online world to feel like they’re not alone, and then it becomes an escape to turn to whenever they’re stressed or bored.
  • New mothers are looking for more than just escape and connection - they want a way to express themselves. After having a child, a lot of women feel like they’ve given up their identity. Looking up old friends on Facebook or buying retro music online can remind them of who they used to be. On virtual-world sites like Second Life, moms can create avatars – or online images of themselves - and become whoever they want to be: a leather-wearing motorcycle chick, a popular cheerleader and so on.  

If you’re afraid YOU might be hooked on the Internet, the first step is to keep a journal, tracking WHEN you go online. If you can figure out the triggers that make you seek cyber-refuge, you can come up with alternate activities - like taking your children for a walk. One other thing: make weekly appointments to get out of the house. This’ll help make your real life the place you want to be.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
canthaveboys1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM

I didnt need a post to tell me i am an addict!!! lmao!  Hey its better than being an alcoholic!

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I hadn't thought of it as finding a community, which is a natural human instinct, I'd say. But I can see that.  And I don't think it is a bad idea, unless, as the article says, you neglect the other parts of your life-  your children. your job (housekeeping, etc.)

BaileynMe
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Quoting canthaveboys1:

I didnt need a post to tell me i am an addict!!! lmao!  Hey its better than being an alcoholic!

Exactly. Not like I'm tipping back martinis, and my daughter isn't neglected in the least. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

canthaveboys1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Quoting BaileynMe:

Quoting canthaveboys1:

Exactly. Not like I'm tipping back martinis, and my daughter isn't neglected in the least. 

Mine either. I am on here while I am at work. They are at school or dc. If I get on at home its after they are in bed or real quick for something. I dont cm, fb, or ms with my kids running a muck.

deann66
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I know I am addicted. I am back and forth to CM all day and the rest of the day I play winnie. I do housework and job search but the rest of the time I am online. My mind races and the internet keeps it busy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)