Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 month old gagging?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi Ladies...I need some help. My 9 month old gags on every bit of solid food I give him. He has always had a very very very sensitive gag reflex. As infant he would gag himself and then smile so I never thought much about it . At around 6 months he would take about a 3rd of the 1st stages baby food jar and then gag and slowly started gagging more and more so I thought he just want ready. So I stopped trying for a while.. in the last few weeks I have begun to try again but it is worse now he cant even eat the 1st food or applesauce. So I thought it was a texture things so I tried the Gerber spaghetti O meals and he gags on that too. He liked the taste and was reaching for more but once it was in his mouth he gagged. And a lot of the time he will gag so much that he vomits. He even gags and vomits when we try those baby puffs that dissolve almost instantly. Iam so scared and worried about this. He goes to the doc on Wednesday so I will definitely be asking him but has anyone else had this problem with their LO? What could be going on? he is very interested in table food and tries to take anything we are eating so could there be a problem with his throat/swallowing?

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cricket1234
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM

is it a thick baby food if so could need to be watered down may help. That always use to scare me

Kydins.Mommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:20 PM

hmm.. idk my son only does that if he puts to much in his mouth at once and he's 10 months old tomorrow. thats kinda strange. has he done it with rice cereal, oatmeal or anything like that?

MomToBeISaMom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Do you have any friends that are speech pathologists?  Not that he has a speech problem, but a SP might be able to tell you more.  Otherwise, I'd talk to a doctor about it.

GillyMarie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Quoting Kydins.Mommy:

hmm.. idk my son only does that if he puts to much in his mouth at once and he's 10 months old tomorrow. thats kinda strange. has he done it with rice cereal, oatmeal or anything like that?

I tried oatmeal in a bowl once or twice and he gagged with that too and he didnt really like the taste of it anyway. we use to put rice cereal in his bottle with is formula and he did fine with that.

GillyMarie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Quoting cricket1234:

is it a thick baby food if so could need to be watered down may help. That always use to scare me

no they werent thick. the 1st stages is pretty thin and we have tried a bunch of different flavors they were all basically the same consistency.

GillyMarie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:31 PM

bump 

ShadowRaven
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:45 PM

My ds is like this. He's 19 months and still not fully on table foods, though we have made a lot of progress in the last couple of months. He didn't have any problems with the completely pureed foods (stage 1 & 2) but he didn't start eating the stage 3s until he was around 12-13 months old and he started eating the puffs around 10-11 months, because he would constantly gag on them.

He is extremely picky about the textures of his foods. He's doing occupational therapy right now, primarily because of this. It's a Sensory Processing Disorder, more specifically, an oral hypersensitivity. Don't worry, it sounds worse than it is.

Since you're going to the doctor on Wednesday, I would highly suggest discussing occupational therapy, with a therapist that specifically has experience in oral tactile therapy.

BaileynMe
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I would talk to your pediatrician about it. 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Quoting BaileynMe:

I would talk to your pediatrician about it. 

GillyMarie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM

bump 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)