Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I miss my family

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

I moved away about 17 months ago ( from Calif) to Nebraska. I don't have many friends here, My hubby's family lives here but id rather not associate that much with them. His mother always tries to tear her sons marriages apart, seriously. I really didn't have family growing up but i still miss something there. I get a phone call every once in a while.   Now that I'm here i get more attention than i would ever expect, i guess I'm trying to say I'm lonely.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bonnie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I can sympathize with you, Cricket. My parents were in the military when I was growing up, so we travelled a lot. Once I was out on my own, however, I moved to Connecticut. (My mother's home state; also where she lives now.) We moved to Louisiana eighteen months ago, where DH is originally from. I do miss everything about being back home. I think I talk to my Mom more now than I did when I lived in the same zip code!

cricket1234
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM

So then you know how i feel even though they were really mean to me there Why in the world would i miss them so much

natalies_mama
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:55 PM

i'm lonely too :{  every.single.day.

cricket1234
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Isnt crazy that we all have kids but were still lonely. What is wrong with us. We have the best things in the world but were still missing something.

afrw2007
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I was born and raised in Michigan... when i was 18 got married and moved to indiana when we started making friends i ended up pregnant and a couple weeks before i had my son moved to north carolina... i dont have many friends and we have no family here we have been here for 1 1/2 years. i miss my family i talk to my mom and brothers as much as i can text my cousin daily not so close with my dad or the rest of my family... i send pictures they send pictures it hard.

i would love to live near them however michigan has no jobs so i dont see that ever really happening... im sorry your so lonely i understand what your going thru.

BaileynMe
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Call them more often. 

Try to find local mom's groups and set up playdates with them. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

cricket1234
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Thank you ladies for your advice.

NiekaC
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I hate that lonely feeling, are you military? I am Im in missouri which is sooo far from CT. I miss family, but one thing I am learning is that friends are family you get to pick out, so get out there & make some friends, go to play groups, go to meet up .com & meet some people in the area, who knows you might find ur new best friend out there in Nebraska. Good luck to you sweet heart.

Bonnie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:13 PM

It's not quite as much "missing the family" as it is the feeling of missing what we have always considered "home". I don't talk to most of my family. I speak to my mother several times a week. This year for me, it has been mostly missing the atmosphere of what was home for me. The cold, the snow, ice skating at the town pond, the tree-lighting ceremony downtown, everyone in my neighborhood decorating for the holidays.

It's different here in every sense for me. It's always humid, it rains more often than not and it's always hot here. I've been working very hard to make this place my home since it is now. It's still difficult to overlook my feelings for the place that I used to call home. KWIM?

kaleynrobertiii
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:15 PM

i can sympathize with you alittle. i moved away from my parents to be with my husband and i dont have any friends here. but, in my community, its best to not have friends. i'm lonely sometimes too, hard to believe with two kids, but thats why im on here. to have adult conversations and help others. you'll make friends..if you want friends where you live, get out some. get a hobby, go with your husband and do something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)