Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:40 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a 5 month old who weighs 18 lbs 8 ozs.  Do you think that's too much?  He has 6 oz's of milk with a lil bit of cereal every 4 hours.  And almost every night at about 7:30 he has a jar of stage 1 baby food.  Do you have a baby on the bottle?  Is their schedule anything like my sons?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:45 PM

My oldest was like this.  I don't remember exactly at 5 months, but I know that at 6 months old, she was 21 pounds...but she was never really chunky.  She was (and still is) just...solid.  At 6 months, she was eating a bowl of cereal and a jar of fruit with an 8oz bottle for breakfast, bowl of cereal and a veggie or fruit with an 8oz bottle for lunch, and a bowl of cereal with a jar of veggies and an 8oz bottle for dinner.  Just before bed, she would take an 8oz bottle.  She wasn't much of a snacker at that age, but she would sometimes have a snack of those gerber puff things.  Every kid is different and if your pediatrician isn't concerned, I wouldn't worry.  My daughter (from birth) has always been in the 90-95th percentile for weight, BUT she's also always been in the 97th+ percentile for height.  Is your little guy tall?

KaseyHickman
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:47 PM
At one month my son was drinking 4 oz of milk every two hours. I talked to my doctor about it and he said as long as he is drinking it and not throwing up and not gaining to much weight to fast it was ok.
AMsMommy212
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:49 PM

My son had to be moved out of the infant carrier at 5 months because he weighed too much LOL somewhere around 22-23 lbs.. I cant remember exactly what his feeding schedule was, but he didnt take baby food until 6 months and didnt have cereal in his bottle..

SuprMom08
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM

All babies grow at a different pace.  If you are really concerned ask your pediatrician about it.

But my baby was a little chunky and after he started crawing, walking and now running, his weight gain has slowed down significantly.

It will all even out in the end :)

MomToBeISaMom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM

He is fine.  My nephews and my niece were 20lbs at 4 months, and they are normal-sized now.  Actually, one of them is small for his age at 6 years.

BEast915
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:01 PM

i think that he is ok. if you are worried, maybe you should stop putting the cereal in his bottle. it really doesn't have a nutritional purpose and i only spoon fed my babies it to teach them how to eat. I have a nephew who was so chunky and now he is small for his age. If the dr. says he is unhealthy then start to worry. I personally love big fat babies they are sooo cute.

BaileynMe
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:05 PM

How tall is he? It makes a big difference if he's tall as opposed to if he's short. I mean, that sounds pretty hefty for a 5 month old, but his eating schedule sounds normal and it doesn't sound like you're overfeeding him. My daughter was teeny though; at 5 months I think she weighed around 10 lbs!  At almost 2, she weighs right around 21 lbs. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

MaKettle87
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:22 PM

My daughter is 22 months and almost 20lbs like 19.8 or something like that.  I could not imagine having a baby any bigger.  I didnt start giving her tastes of cereal with breastmilk  till she was just over 6 months.  she was crawling at 5 months and started walking at 8 months.  I've never "scheduled" my daughters feedings.  I never payed attention to it.  I think she ate maybe every 2-4 hours.  I fed her when she wanted to eat and even now, if she doesnt ask or say yes when I ask, she doesnt eat.  DDs cousin is 25lbs and 24 months and looks overweight to me.   Every baby is going to be different.  I'm kinda small.  I'm only 5'2 and 130lbs.  DH is 5'11 and 160lbs so I've got a little curves I think thats from being pacific islander lol  and DH is a bean pole which is from being cherokee I guess, or just because he has ADHD.  If you are concerned about your babies weight, talk to your ped.  You arent going to get any straight answers on here. Everyone tells me DD is underweight and looks way too skinny, but she has only been sick twice in her life and hits her milestones early.  She eats healthy and I'm not going to give her french fries because according to some "doctor" or whoevers standards she is too small.  I've been told to give DD french fries and other fried foods, chicken nuggets, butter, milkshakes, and a bunch of other crap that we DO NOT eat!  We eat fried foods maayybee once a week or once every 2 weeks.  We drink fresh juice every day and eat our veggies.  IMO you should stop putting cereal in hit bottles.  Its dangerous and unhealthy. If your going to give him cereal, spoon feed him. 

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, no CIO, baby wearing, non vaxing, non circumsizing(if i had a boy),  plan to homeschool, plan to homebirth,  extended rear facing, loving, Christian mom and wouldnt change it for the world

mamakenzi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM

My daughter was always small, at 2 1/2 she weighs 23 lbs.  But my best friend's 5 month old weighs 19 lbs.  Poor kid looks like a ball he's so fat.  Our pedi (she and I use the same pedi) said he's fine, but if you're concerned talk to your pedi.

Bella_Angel
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Well we put cereal in his bottle bcuz if we don't he's not satisfied and he'll just throw it all up.

Quoting BEast915:

i think that he is ok. if you are worried, maybe you should stop putting the cereal in his bottle. it really doesn't have a nutritional purpose and i only spoon fed my babies it to teach them how to eat. I have a nephew who was so chunky and now he is small for his age. If the dr. says he is unhealthy then start to worry. I personally love big fat babies they are sooo cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)