Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know no one ever replys to these, but...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:14 PM
  • 16 Replies

I Need Help Potty Training!!! lol

My Daughter is 3 1/2.  She will not use the potty.  She never has.  She has used the potty 2 times, with someone else, but they say she did, and I don't think she actually did anything but sit on there.  I know she is a smart kid, she completely understands what the potty is for, and if you ask her where she is supposed to pee or poop, she will say on the potty, but she just wont do it.  I have been trying on and off for almost 2 years, it will be 2 years in June.  I introduced the potty to her when she was 20 months old, and would try working with her, and if she didn't get it any, i would wait awhile thinkin that she wasn't ready yet.  I know she is ready now, she can hold her pee for up to 4 hours, she stays dry all night, and has done so for over a year now.  I will take her to the potty about every 45 mins or so, have her sit there until she won't sit any longer, and let her get up.  Then she goes and pees on herself.  If she is in pull ups, (which is what we use as a diaper, she is too big for regular diapers, and she is already in the biggest size pull ups, she is a big girl, lol), but she won't tell me if she has peed or pooped.  If she is in pantys, she will let me know immediately.  I don't know what to do, I have tried everything.  Potty Charts, trying to bribe her with ice cream, new toys, trips to chuck-e-cheese, having a "potty" party, anything and everything that I can think of that she would enjoy.  She is a really smart kid, I mean, she knows how to do stuff on the computer, she can open the paint program and do pictures, she can play computer games all by herself, and understand what to do, without my help at all.  I just don't get why she can't use the potty.  Sorry this is so long, I am just at a loss of what to do anymore, and really need some advice...

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swizzlefiz
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Sounds like a power struggle to me :)  Maybe just do the panty thing and leave her in the wet ones until she changes them .... that might be enough to sway her.  Good luck ... power struggles aren't fun!

charlene_kyle
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM

We potty trained our son at exactly 2yrs and he was potty trained day and night all in one hour. We got  a movie called "Potty Power" I put it in for him to watch and not even 5 minutes into it he asked where his potty was. So of course I ran and got it and he started using the potty. We had that movie on re-peat for probably  6hours but it worked. He has had 4 accidents and he has been potty trained over a year now. I would highly recommend the movie!!!

2ndTymeMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Maybe she's just scared of the unknown.  Have you tried dumping her poop into the toilet after she's gone in her diaper?? And then say "Bye Bye Poop"....???  Or have her do and then flush it herself??  Does she watch you go to the bathroom?

Maybe it's more than this...Maybe she's just refusing to grow up cuz she's worried she won't get attention??  I'm just throwing ideas out there...cuz i'm in the same boat, although my DD is a year behind yours and I'm looking for the same answers you are....

Good luck!

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Good replies.  If you have a private yard, then in warmer weather you can let her go pants-less and see if this would help.  I agree that the idea may be to get her to find it is more trouble than its worth to go in her clothes. If she has to clean herself up, and change her own clothing, and say put her own clothing into a soaking pail, and her dirty pull ups into the trash, and clean up any mess that ends up on the floor, then maybe she'll find that it's easier to just go in the potty to begin with.

mamakenzi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Put her in panties and take her to go potty every 20 minutes.  I think 45 minutes is too long of a stretch until she starts going.  Give her a special treat when she does potty.  Something small, like toys from the dollar store or a special candy.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Be calm when she has accidents.  Just say OK that's fine, go ahead and clean up (and put your clothes in the soaking pail and the dirty ..... etc. )

xx_erika
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I'm not too sure about this, I'm expecting my first!
But here's a bump for ya, and good luck :)

abc04789f
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Put her in underwear only... when she wets herself or poops herself, make her clean it up, don't help her at all.  Tell her she is a big girl and doesn't need to pee or poop in her pants anymore, and when she does tell her big girls clean themselves up too.  I'm sure she probably will not like it and you will start getting somewhere with her.  Make her clean up the mess she makes on the floor too if it gets on the floor.

abc04789f
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Quoting abc04789f:

Put her in underwear only... when she wets herself or poops herself, make her clean it up, don't help her at all.  Tell her she is a big girl and doesn't need to pee or poop in her pants anymore, and when she does tell her big girls clean themselves up too.  I'm sure she probably will not like it and you will start getting somewhere with her.  Make her clean up the mess she makes on the floor too if it gets on the floor.

You could also leave her in it for a little bit, say about 15 mins, when she is wearing her underwear.  She probably won't like that at all.

kyco363
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:41 PM

This is what I did. When my son turned 2, I began taking him to the bathroom every 20 minutes. I made him sit there until his timer went off (5 min.) believe me, he got bored VERY fast. Once he realized that I would interrupt his play every 20 min. and be very serious about him sitting there for 5 min. he started using the potty. Also, when he did go to the bathroom - I FREAKED, I would smile, give him high fives, tell his daddy how proud I was of him, and give him a star on his potty chart. Once he proved he could go to the bathroom in the potty for longer than a week we bought him a BIG awesome present that he wanted at the time. After 2 days of the every 20 min. thing - he was potty trained, it didn't even take a week. GOOD LUCK!

Quoting mamakenzi:

Put her in panties and take her to go potty every 20 minutes.  I think 45 minutes is too long of a stretch until she starts going.  Give her a special treat when she does potty.  Something small, like toys from the dollar store or a special candy.

Life is like photography, you need the negative to develop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)