Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old is too old?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:51 PM
  • 23 Replies

DS is 26 months old(just over two) and his grandmother told me I need to give up the sippy cup. He does pretty good without the cover on but he's not always sitting down when he gets thirsty and I don't want him walking around without a cover on. I just have the take and toss cups for him now so it's not like the nipple type cups or anything. How old do you think is too old for a sippy cup?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I think a sippy is fine. Straw cups are great too. I don't have an age limit for sippies, they're a life saver when we're out, like the mall...

dusky_rose
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM

IDK but my 2 1/2 year old son is still using his sippy cups because I don't need him to spill when he is walking.

AngelicaRenee
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:55 PM

my son is almost 28 months and still using a sippy cup. he has no problem with the other cups but he likes to spill them on purpose, so for now we still use a sippy cup. They are starting to break now though so I figure once they're gone I won't get anymore.

bonanza15
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:58 PM

same here. my dd is 4 and still uses them.she knew since 2 years old how to use a regular cup and now she uses a regular and a sippy cup. sippy cup is a life saver when drinking on a sofa or in a car for example.

MomToBeISaMom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:02 PM

I still make my 9-year-old nephew use the sippy cup once in a while, lol.

barefootNky113
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:02 PM

my daughter is 26 months as well. I WILL NOT give up her sippy cup until I trust her enough not to totally stain my carpets and couch. LOL. I think it's insane to give up sippy cups so young. My dd will probably be using her sippy cup for a very long time. Tell his grandmother that if she wants to let him walk around her house without a lid then that's fine. but you like your carpets stain free

deseree-vi.gif picture by mrsdavis113

gregory2
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:03 PM

My ds is 3 and we use both. When we are sitting down at the table I give him a regular cup, but when he first wakes up he likes to drink his chocolate milk in his bed that I still give him a sippy cup then. Also, when we're out running errands we still use a sippy. If I know he is sitting down then I give him a regular cup.

ABOmom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:07 PM

My dd just turned three. She uses a "big girl" cup when we are sitting and eating at the table but other than that she uses a sippy cup. I don't see any problem with it.  If I had to pick an age I would say 4 or 5.

Silvia1011
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM

My daughter gave them up completely around 3.5 years old I think.  Even before 3.5 if she was sitting at a table, she used a regular cup.  The sippy cup after awhile was used if we were out and about, or in the car.  She doesn't use a sippy cup anymore, but does drink from water bottle things or travel cups.  I don't see why your child can't continue using them :)  they are great!

hailnbray
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:23 PM

my 2 yr old uses a reg cup at meals but i give the sippy for car rides. we go back n forth between straws and sippys during the day. we could get rid of the sippy all together, he hardly spills anything but sometimes he gets creative n likes to dump milk on his hands and rub it in his face like lotion so the sippy is good for those type of days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)