Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sick of him

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

ok so me and my boyfriend of 5 years dont live together..weird I know. we both live at home, cannot afford otherwise right now. we have a 3 year old together. the Major problem is is hes bipolar. I feel like I'm dating 2 different people. things will be fine for a while, he can be nice and caring then all of a sudden hes acting like a freak. slamming things, swearing, banging his head against things, in front of our son. I just needed to vent, does anyone else deal with this....I know hes bipolar, and he gets mad when I get mad but i cant deal all the time..

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kn92706
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM

bump

RoodMomm
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM

is he on medication? maybe you should suggest counseling for him, or for the both of you....bipolar disorder is serious, and if it's left untreated he could really become violent or schizophrenic or worse!

mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I agree with the previous poster.  He sounds like he needs to be on meds & you need to be sure that he's taking them especially because you have a child.   

punching              playing soccer boy                 baby in sling    

Rob & Tosh since Feb '98    Cristian (3)               &       Jayden (13 months)

kn92706
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM

he is on meds and sees a counsler.....:(

JLo1486
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Ok..so for real...this was the exact situation my husband I and were in.  The only exception...we are now on 6 yrs and out daughter is now 4 lol.    Has he actually been diagnosed?  Alot of people treat being bi polar as the next big fad.  So..you need to know for sure.  My father was seriously bi polar so I lived with that my whole life.  My husband...he could go either way...he feels he is...I think he has other issues.  He's never been violent though.  Living with someone who is Bi polar can be very difficult...in their world it tends to be all about them.  I learned that from my dad.  You can message me if you like if you have more questions.

mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:28 PM

i think he needs an adjustment or another med because it's obviously not working.  you have my sympathies because I don't think I could deal with it.  

A little boy I know, his grandmother was killed last year by her Schizophrenic/Bipolar son, his uncle.  He's an adult in his 20's.  Apparently his doctor took him off his meds & went on vacation.  His mom tried to get help but no one would do anything.  One night he freaked out & grabbed a knife.  He stabbed his father who got in front of his wife to protect her but she was stabbed in the leg all the while yelling for her grandson to hide.  He nicked an artery & because the police couldn't verify he was off premises she laid in the house bleeding out.  They refused to let the paramedics in to help her.  The grandson ran outside & was screaming that his grandma had been stabbed & a neighbor called the police.  They had locks on the bedroom doors & locked up all the knives but missed one.  The dad hit him & sprayed him with mace with no luck.  They thought that would prevent him from doing anything if he ever attacked them but it didn't.  She had multiple surgeries but ended up dying a few days later from her injuries.  I don't mean to scare you but you need to know that even though you don't think something bad can happen, like they did, it can. 

JLo1486
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Quoting mommy2cristian:

i think he needs an adjustment or another med because it's obviously not working.  you have my sympathies because I don't think I could deal with it.  

A little boy I know, his grandmother was killed last year by her Schizophrenic/Bipolar son, his uncle.  He's an adult in his 20's.  Apparently his doctor took him off his meds & went on vacation.  His mom tried to get help but no one would do anything.  One night he freaked out & grabbed a knife.  He stabbed his father who got in front of his wife to protect her but she was stabbed in the leg all the while yelling for her grandson to hide.  He nicked an artery & because the police couldn't verify he was off premises she laid in the house bleeding out.  They refused to let the paramedics in to help her.  The grandson ran outside & was screaming that his grandma had been stabbed & a neighbor called the police.  They had locks on the bedroom doors & locked up all the knives but missed one.  The dad hit him & sprayed him with mace with no luck.  They thought that would prevent him from doing anything if he ever attacked them but it didn't.  She had multiple surgeries but ended up dying a few days later from her injuries.  I don't mean to scare you but you need to know that even though you don't think something bad can happen, like they did, it can. 

Well now... that threw me under the bus. lol.  In all seriousness though...He should be checked on his meds.  I didn't mean to downplay the situation.  It is a scary disorder and is tricky to manage. My dad has been on all the meds and it makes his worse.  Again...he's never been really violent...scary at times but never laid a finger on us.  He needs to be checked out again or see another doctor.  Keep us updated!

LilahandElliot
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:04 AM

RUN! If the meds and therapist can't help... it'll be that way forever.

Quoting kn92706:

he is on meds and sees a counsler.....:(

I'm Aubree (or Bree), I'm a 21 year old, formula feeding, non-circumcising,  non-vaccinating, occasionally co-sleeping, disposable diapering, spanking when needed, forward faced at 1, brutally honest, thinks children can call their step-parent "mommy" or "daddy" if that's what they choose, wife to Andy since 04/07, mommy to Delilah Renee since 12/07, Mommy to Elliot Jay since 08/09, and step-mommy to Brookelyn Lucille (born 09/05).

Lucky13-7PM
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:12 AM

He is diagnosed bipolar? Sounds like just depression to me.. Bipolar includes manic episodes (think euphoria and inability to sleep for days at a time, hyper, etc.) You say hes "normal" and then  "angry".. without the manic episodes, thats just depression.

In any case, there are many diff meds he can try. tell him to call the dr if they arent working. If he wont, take him to court for custody and a judge will make him adjust the meds. Your child doesnt need to be around that... and who knows when he snaps and hurts the baby or you. Not acceptable!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)