Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

After much thought

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:39 PM
  • 4 Replies

We have decided to have my friend move in with us. She & DH worked out their differences and got along this weekend. She is moving the first of February and will pay 1/2 the rent and 1/3 utilities. She will pay 1/3 the cable and the extra for a digital box in her room. We have decided to stay here for another year when our lease is up in April. We should get a better deal on the rent too. Should we get her put on the lease now or wait until April? If we do it now she has to pay an application fee and has to be approved. I wasn't working when I was approved but DH was working. But I did pass on my own. She works for the same company I do and gets partial unemployment.  Should we just pass her off as a guest as long as we can or put her on the lease?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
dosthepost
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Get her put on the lease... if the landlord catches wind that there is another tenant you could lose your home. I wouldn't risk that.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Definitely put her on the lease. That way she has as much legal obligation as you do. It will help eliminate problems down the road.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:17 AM

But what if she doesn't pass? I THINK she will but I am not sure. I passed without a job or unemployment but I am married and DH had a great job then. We are really doing to help with the bills and she has an ex-boyfriend who will not leave her alone. She wants to move where he doesn't know where she lives. When she transfers to tutor here I will be her boss. I told her that and she said it was okay. I also told her no preferential treatment. I told her that her room and bathroom had to be reasonably clean. It doesn't have to be sparkling but the hall bathroom will be the one guests use when they come to visit. The common areas-the dining room, living room, and kitchen will be everyone's responsibility. 

deann66
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Don't you want to know if she can be on the lease prior to her moving in? I am thinking, if you have been able to pay the rent without her then it will mainly be to check she hasn't distryed any place she lived.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)