Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does DD19 need to do her own taxes?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:06 PM
  • 23 Replies

DD19 worked a little this year at two jobs. She is still in highschool and is our dependent even though we no longer get a child tax credit for her.  1 of her w-2's came in and it was less then $400 and there were no taxes taken out of it.  The other will probably be about the same.  Now do we even need to claim that or does she have to do her own or what is up!?  I know I can look it up but I thought I would just see what you guys said first. 

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mslyricalbedlam
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:08 PM

she should do her own but claim 0 (zero) because she is a dependent.

Dance13
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:10 PM

A few years ago when i had a job for a month my father in law was working at H&R block and he told me that since i didn't make over a certain amount i didn't have to claim mine. but i think we did anyway cause i got some money back from the state.

dosthepost
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

It won't cost her anything to file her own, and with that small amount of income she won't owe anything. Just to cover her ass, I'd say have her file. 

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

axy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:12 PM

i know in tx, if you dont make over 1,000 or 10,000 (im not sure which it is) you dont have to file.

bigmommasmomma
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I would let her do her own

ShadowRaven
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Last time I checked, if your income was less than $5000, you were not required to file. However, you do have the option of filing if you find out that you are due a refund. If no taxes were taken out and she didn't get a 1099, then I doubt it would matter either way.

28yroldgranny
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:46 PM

so everyone thinks that she should file her own and not include her in ours?

dosthepost
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:13 PM

You can't include her yours. You can't just add in random numbers from random w-2's. 

Quoting 28yroldgranny:

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

28yroldgranny
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:22 PM

what ar you talking about? How would it be random numbers?  They ask for everyone in the houses w-2's.

Quoting dosthepost:

You can't include her yours. You can't just add in random numbers from random w-2's. 

Quoting 28yroldgranny:

dosthepost
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I would have her do her own (ours we do through turbo tax... you can only run 2 people at a time with the free version)... she's 19, it's about time to start learning this stuff, don't ya think?

Quoting 28yroldgranny:

what ar you talking about? How would it be random numbers?  They ask for everyone in the houses w-2's.

Quoting dosthepost:

Quoting 28yroldgranny:

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)