Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MIL- Let my 3 year old ride in the front seat.......

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:21 PM
  • 4 Replies

At least that is what my 3 year said.  I am not sure what to believe.  My first reaction was to rip my MIL's face off.  I called her but only got her voice mail.  So I am at work now and my husband talked to her about it.  She told him that when she was pulling down her street that he (my son)  unbuckled himself and slid into the passengers seat and they just drove down the street into her driveway.  I don't think I believe her story.  My son has never unbuckled himself in my car because it's not okay.  If he thinks it's okay to unbuckle himself and get out of his seat then as an adult you should let him know sternly that it's not okay.  I mean driving down a side street doesn't sound like a big deal but to me it's a very big deal if my son thinks it's okay to get out of his seat while someone is driving.  Also I am just not sure I believe her story.  What if it wasn't just driving down the street.  What if it's was on a major street and someone hit her and the air bag was released?  If she makes judgements that are this bad I don't think it's safe to leave her with my son unchaperoned.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
swizzlefiz
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:24 PM

My DD couldn't unbuckle her car seat 3 ... she didn't figure that out until about 5.  My DD has told me about my mom letting her ride up front but they "were just going to the park down the street."  Ugh!  I knew talking to my mom would do no good so I told DD not to ever get into the car unless she was getting into her car seat.  Now if I even back out of the drive way before she gets herself all buckled she screams bloody murder!

JenniferZiemba
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:38 PM

My son is a 3 year old in a 6 year old body, lol.  I am trying to teach my son that it's not okay to ride up front but it's hard because he thinks it makes him a big boy.

Quoting swizzlefiz:

My DD couldn't unbuckle her car seat 3 ... she didn't figure that out until about 5.  My DD has told me about my mom letting her ride up front but they "were just going to the park down the street."  Ugh!  I knew talking to my mom would do no good so I told DD not to ever get into the car unless she was getting into her car seat.  Now if I even back out of the drive way before she gets herself all buckled she screams bloody murder!

JLo1486
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:37 PM

My daughter could unbuckle herself before she was 2.  If it was truly just a side street...I wouldn't worry so much.  Just calmy talk to her about what you expect when she has care of your child.

cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I would definitely talk to her about it.  She needs to understand that is NOT ok and if she can't properly buckle him up in the car, he won't be going anywhere with her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)