Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it possible/advisable to teach a one year old to help clean up after play time?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM
  • 26 Replies

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EdgeOfSanity
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Ds is 18 months and I have encouraged him to clean up for a while now. It's usually only a couple of toys, but he does it. I think if you instill it now, you'll have an easier time when they're older.

tisami1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:01 PM

I'd have to say "why not"? I just played it up to "helping" Mommy around the house. Start small and see how it goes!

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I started as soon as the baby could walk. I said let's clean up now, and they did.

JeresMom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I agree as child gets older I encourage by counting the toys as we put them away!

Quoting tisami1:

I'd have to say "why not"? I just played it up to "helping" Mommy around the house. Start small and see how it goes!

CafeMom Tickers
Mama713
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:02 PM

It is possible. I've had my daughter helping me clean up since she was one (she's going on 2 now). Just don't expect her to meet you halfway. LOL I will only ask my daughter to pick up a few things and I pick up the rest. And try to make it fun. Make it a game. Your child will be happier to do it if it's fun.

RyansMommy6407
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:04 PM

it's probably an uphill battle with a one-year-old. BUT it's never to early to start. Don't expect anything, but you can give them toys and tell them to put them in the toybox or whatever you use and see if he/she does it. That's what I do with my 2-year-old (sometimes... when I feel like sitting there and handing him every single toy... usualy I just do it myself cuz it's easier) But anyway, I point at the toys or hand them to him and say put it in the box and usually he does it... maybe try that?

RyansMommy6407
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Oh and also, he helps me do dishes and laundry. I make it fun for him and get really excited and say thank you for helping mommy and he really likes it. He really likes putting the wet clothes in the dryer.

fallenfey22
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:08 PM

My niece is almost two and she's been helping pick up for awhile now...as the others have said it's not a lot but it is instilling good habits! :)

lovinmykiddo07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:09 PM

You could start encouraging now, setting examples. My 2 year old LOVES to help me clean. If I ask him if he wants to help me do something he'll drop whatever he's doing to "help" me. :)

lovinmyboys...
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:09 PM

My son is two and he's been helping pick up his toys since he's been able to walk (which was at 8 1/2 months).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)