Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tantrums

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:40 PM
  • 13 Replies

My DD is 19 months old and throwing tantrums over everything.  I try redirecting and that usually ends up with her throwing things at me.  I've tried time outs consistantly for quite a few days but she started to use it as a game (she gets up I put her back, and she will do it for a while then she will start to laugh).  She's even starting to try to hit me. 

I'm at a loss at what to do with her.  I can't take the tantrums anymore.  This came on really suddenly and she has always been such a sweet child (still is for the most part) but now there is a big chunk of the day where she is just screaming at me and I can't figure out what is wrong. 

TIA

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swizzlefiz
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:45 PM

This is probably not the right thing but when DD tried to pitch a fit I'd lay down on the floor next to her and kick and scream and cry like she was.  She'd just stop and look at me like I'd lost my mind :)

tanya_marieh
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:51 PM

You know that might just distract her enough to get her to stop though.  Thanks. 

Quoting swizzlefiz:

This is probably not the right thing but when DD tried to pitch a fit I'd lay down on the floor next to her and kick and scream and cry like she was.  She'd just stop and look at me like I'd lost my mind :)

tanya_marieh
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:01 PM

BUMP

Any other ideas lately.

SissyAnn141
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:17 PM

First, if she is laying on the floor, STEP OVER HER and ignore her.....

This shows, you are in control by stepping over her.

Act like, you could care-less, what she does.....SHOW NO FEAR!!!!!!!

OTHER-WISE, keep that UP ALSO.......

Radarma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Quoting swizzlefiz:

LOL I did the same!!! We would all start howling with laughter.

Has there been any change in her lil life OP?

Quick! Pick a color between 1 and 10.

tyfry7496
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM

IGNORE the tantrums!!! Kids that age are doing it more for attention than anything else. As long as she isn't hurt, then let her throw the tantrums.

MikeysMom51108
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I ignore my son when he's throwing tantrums. Just continue on like nothing's wrong. If it continues more than a couple minutes, I just start calmly talking to him--telling him that he can cry all he wants but it won't help anything...telling him to calm down and he'll feel better....etc, etc.....

When he throws things at me, I take them away (he usually throws toys) and tell him that we don't throw things. If he continues throwing things, I smack his hand.

When he hits me, I grab his hand and firmly tell him no. If he continues, I smack his hand. (and, yes, I realize many will say that it's not effective to teach a child not to smack by smacking them--but, it rarely comes to that, and when it does, he stops smacking me for the time being).

tanya_marieh
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Nothing much has changed at all.  She just got over being sick but that is it.  Unless she is realizing that she will be getting a new sister in two months I can't think of anything at all.

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting swizzlefiz:

LOL I did the same!!! We would all start howling with laughter.

Has there been any change in her lil life OP?

SissyAnn141
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:30 PM

The STRONG  WILLED CHILD, BY James Dobson.....

-xoxo-
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I ignore my 15 month old. If she gets out of control or begins to hurt people or animals, I tell her NO firmly, give her a swat on the butt, and sit her down on the couch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)