Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please if you have a minute would you read my long post about adoption I could use some input (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:07 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am in need of some advice. My 6yr old DD is adopted she is my Bio-niece (my sisters birth child ) I have had her since she was 6wks old her adoption was final when she was 3. My son was almost 4 when Hailey came to live with us he knows my sister is Hailey's bio mother. I have told Hailey about her adoption and that she did not come out of my belly but my sisters who we still see from time to time that is as much as she knows right now. I do not think she has put it together that coming out of someones belly makes you a mother in other words I do not think she knows my sister is her "Bio"mother even though she does know she came from her belly . Anyway my son who is now 10 told Hailey "Mom does not like you " just typical brother stuff but Hailey started to cry I said of course I love you Hailey you are my DD I said ignore your brother. When I told Hailey she was my DD My son said but she is adopted. UGH IDK what to do I sat my son down and explained that Hailey is just as much my DD as my other DD. My ? is how and when do i start to give Hailey more info. Like her siblings are really her "cousins" or that she has 3 half brothers 2that she met briefly and 1 she has not (the 2 she met she does not know they are her bros) and that her bio father my sister still lives with and Hailey also sees him not knowing who he really is. I do not want to let her down I want to always be as honest as I can with her she is going to be 7 in April. Is there anybody who has any advice ? thank you for reading this. I really could use any input ...

Katie mother to 5 children  Noah 7-25-99,Hailey 4-18-03,
Riley 4-6-04,Caleb 10-12-05, Gracie 4-9-08.
family in the van

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
xx_erika
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM

bump.

tanya_marieh
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I wish I could help but I have no idea.  Here is a bump.

tyfry7496
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Contact a child pyschologist that deals with adoption issues and talk to them. It may be easier to bring Hailey into a session or two and have the counselor help you tell her. She is going to have lots of questions but she does need to know, from you. A family member will eventually slip up and finding out that way would be much worse on Hailey.

ZoeCY
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I agree. 

Quoting tyfry7496:

Contact a child pyschologist that deals with adoption issues and talk to them. It may be easier to bring Hailey into a session or two and have the counselor help you tell her. She is going to have lots of questions but she does need to know, from you. A family member will eventually slip up and finding out that way would be much worse on Hailey.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)