Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you who have used techniques from book Healthy Sleep, Happy Child

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:11 PM
  • 3 Replies

I know this book was last published in 2003.  Has there been an updated version?  Have they found research in last 7 years stated that these techniques aren't useful or good?  Are kids still able to self soothe at a certain age, can't remember what book said exactly?  The reason why I am asking is that a friend who has been studying trauma in college has stated there is new research done on the brain that babies may not self soothe until a much older age than thought, like over a year.  Not I'm sure it depends on the baby.  I have used this technique, (CIO) since he was seven months and for the most part it works.  He sleeps most nights 12 hours with daytime naps.  I still soothe to sleep however, instead of laying down awake.  I don't do it long, just enough for him to finish bottle and be burped.  I feel that this is still what he needs, he is almost 12 months.  I rarely go to him when he wakes at night unless it sounds bad or different and he goes back to sleep.  Lately, in last week he has cried for 2-3 hours straight 3 nights, not in a row.   I'm wondering if I should be doing something different.  Any one have any opinions or have read up on latest research regarding self soothing or Crying IT OUT.

tazkitty

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
tanya_marieh
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:14 PM

2-3 hours is extremely long.  I don't do the CIO myself but I don't think that they are supposed to cry for more than a half an hour.  Could he be getting teeth or have an ear infection because that could be causing the wake ups.  Sorry I'm not much help.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I am a fan of the No Cry Sleep Solution.

I am anti-cio. So I'm not sure if you want my opinion on the matter. I just received my first piece of cafemom hate mail on, I believe, this subject lol.

I will say that there have been studies and research (obtained and performed recently) that say that making your baby cio is very closely linked to traumatizing the child. A child's only means of communication at the infant age (and early toddler age) is to cry. For that communication to be ignored by the people that are supposed to love and care for the baby is very traumatic. And lonely, in my personal opinion.

MrsPeters1012
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I read a lot of books around this time last year trying to get my son to sleep through the night and sleep in his own room in his crib.  We were previously cosleeping and my hubby put his foot down and said that he was 1 year old and should be in his own room.  

I started by just putting him in there for naps and letting him cry for 15 minutes.  After a couple of days he would just lay down and go to sleep.  Once he got the hang of that and realized we weren't abandoning him, then we started putting him in there at night.  That was a little bit harder, but he really did sleep much more sound and for longer periods of time.  I know CIO is very hard (trust me, I cried when he cried), but it does teach self soothing.  I believe in short periods of CIO, but not longer than a half hour maximum.  The child needs to know that you are still there if they need you.  I would not use CIO until your child is 1 year old.  

GOOD LUCK!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)