Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So sick of fighting with him-sleep issues.

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:10 PM
  • 13 Replies

This is going to be long, so please bear with me.

I am so DONE fighting with my DS at bedtime.  He is almost 22 months old (Feb. 1st) and stopped sleeping through the night at the beginning of October (2009).  I can literally count on one hand the number of times he's slept through the night since October.  Prior to that he had slept through the night for about a year.  He's never been a great sleeper, but this is getting ridiculous.  October 6th was his 18-month well visit to the doctor.  He got a couple of vaccinations, but they were all boosters, so nothing that he hadn't had before.  I don't know if there is any correlation, between the not sleeping through the night and the doctor's appointment.  It could just be a coincidence, but for some reason I always connect the two.

Since then, DS is damn near impossible to put to bed.  We have a routine that we've had since he was about 7 or 8 months old.  Every other night he takes a bath, we read books, then we sit on the couch and snuggle under one of his favorite blankets while he drinks his milk (he nursed until he was one).  Then I bring him into his room, turn his music on, and rock him through two songs, then put him in his bed.  He is still awake when I put him down.  He used to go right to bed at this point and sometimes he still will.  But then he's up all through the night.  I swear he's up more now than when he was a newborn.  And he never gets up at the same time at night, so I don't think he's developed a waking pattern in that sense.  I do go to him in the middle of the night when he wakes up.  I don't believe in CIO, but I have tried it out of desperation.  We gave it a try for a week, and it never worked.  

I've tried everything I can think of.  I've tried different bedtimes.  At 18 months, he was in bed by 7:15 and he slept until about 6:30 or 7 in the morning.  Now, I'm lucky if I can get him down by 8:15.  He fights me tooth and nail about going to bed.  I let him cry for a little while if he doesn't go down right away, but we live in a VERY SMALL townhouse, my DH goes to bed at 9:30 so he can get up for work at 5, and he can't sleep through the crying.  DS also does NOT allow DH into his bedroom at night, so I'm stuck with the whole burden, which sucks.  I'm a SAHM, so I'm with DS all day, and by 7:30, I'm ready for him to go to bed.  I just don't know how to do that anymore.

Bless you if you've read this far.  Any advise?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shandys_mom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:16 PM

eh i cant say much mine runs in my room after a hour screaming and im just to tired to fight so i let her back up

Kydins.Mommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:20 PM

i would try to give him a bath with the lavendar bedtime bath stuff and rub the lotion or the oil on his back.  then keep with the routine. try putting him to bed at 7:30 if he cries let him cry for 5-10 mins i know its hard to do but let him know u wont go right to him if he cries (you wont be concidered a bad mom i promise) then go in there lay him back down tell him its night night time or its bed time then lay him back down give him a kiss then walk back out. if you want to set outside of his room or down the hall or something for a few minutes thats ok till u know its ok to go back to what ur doing... then if he does it in the middle of the night  and continues to do it dont say anything just lay him back down and walk out.. after a while he will realize that your not playing around that its actually bedtime...... also does he have a blankey or a stuffed animal that he sleeps with?  cuz that always helps too

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Yes, he sleeps with a Pooh bear.  Every night, has since he moved into his own crib.  I try to enforce that it's really bed time.  On the plus side, in the middle of the night that's all it takes.  I go into his room (I have to pick him up to get him off the blankets he's standing on), but then I just lay him right back down.  And he goes right back to sleep.  But he won't go down unless I go in there.

Quoting Kydins.Mommy:

i would try to give him a bath with the lavendar bedtime bath stuff and rub the lotion or the oil on his back.  then keep with the routine. try putting him to bed at 7:30 if he cries let him cry for 5-10 mins i know its hard to do but let him know u wont go right to him if he cries (you wont be concidered a bad mom i promise) then go in there lay him back down tell him its night night time or its bed time then lay him back down give him a kiss then walk back out. if you want to set outside of his room or down the hall or something for a few minutes thats ok till u know its ok to go back to what ur doing... then if he does it in the middle of the night  and continues to do it dont say anything just lay him back down and walk out.. after a while he will realize that your not playing around that its actually bedtime...... also does he have a blankey or a stuffed animal that he sleeps with?  cuz that always helps too

Kydins.Mommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM

my 10 month old son does the same thing.. he has his moments where some nights i dont have to go in there at all and then theres some nights i have to go in there 5-6 times a night. it gets tiresome sometimes i just want to crawl in his crib with him so that i dont have to get up and walk in the other room and so that he wont wake up cuz he's a mommy's boy and i have to be the one to put him to sleep.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:42 PM

bump

DVS
by Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Let me know what you find ot cuz mine is up with me now and it has been like this for a while and he used to sleep thru the night also.

chazsmom
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:48 AM

Have any of you noticed a correlation of the new nighttime wakings and teething? Often toddlers  start waking up in the night as a result of their bigger teeth (pre-molars and molars) coming in. My son is going through the same thing now at 23 mos. We give him teething tablets before bed. They are homeopathic and sold at Walmart and drugstores in the baby section with the bottles and nipples. They dont make the child fall asleep but rather soothe the gums as well as any teething related diarrhea, thereby alowing the child to sleep comfortably. Hope this helps. 

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:47 AM

I haven't noticed any gum swelling back in the molar area.  I do think he is now trying to cut his eye teeth, but that's new.  That hasn't been happening since October.  He has 4 molars already, two on top, two on bottom.  I know there are 2-year molars coming up, but I don't think we're there yet.

MyndRayne
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:00 AM

unfortunitly i can't offer much advice because when my son had those issuse we just moved his bed time to a later time. honestly from about 14 months til he was....well until this school year (he started kindergarden) his bed time was 10 pm. he would go to bed at 10 and sleep til around 7 or 7:30. then i noticed that he was comming home from school and taking a nap everyday, so i moved his bed time up to 9:30. sense then he doesn't take naps after school anymore. now he goes to bed at 9:30 and gets up a little before 7 and does fine, the only time he ever takes a nap anymore is if he's sick.

i know most mom's are probibly going to spaz at the fact that i let my 3 and 6 year olds stay up so "late" but it works really well for us. and i figure "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Joel Andrew passed 2-14-01

Jenny Alexis passed 8-12-01

Christopher Joseph born 1-5-04

Brianna Angelique born 10-16-06

Baby J passed 9-28-08

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:12 PM

My kid needs WAY more sleep than that. lol  I've tried to cut out his naps, but I don't think he's ready yet.  He's a huge pain if he hasn't slept during the day.  And on the days that I haven't let him nap, he'll fall asleep in the car if I go anywhere.  Plus, I may have to shoot myself if I didn't get a little "me" time at night before I go to bed myself. :)

Quoting MyndRayne:

unfortunitly i can't offer much advice because when my son had those issuse we just moved his bed time to a later time. honestly from about 14 months til he was....well until this school year (he started kindergarden) his bed time was 10 pm. he would go to bed at 10 and sleep til around 7 or 7:30. then i noticed that he was comming home from school and taking a nap everyday, so i moved his bed time up to 9:30. sense then he doesn't take naps after school anymore. now he goes to bed at 9:30 and gets up a little before 7 and does fine, the only time he ever takes a nap anymore is if he's sick.

i know most mom's are probibly going to spaz at the fact that i let my 3 and 6 year olds stay up so "late" but it works really well for us. and i figure "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)