Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

potty training a 10 month old???

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM
  • 27 Replies

Okay, so for awhile i've been debating on whether to start potty training my 10 month old daughter. Here's why: she's allergic to her poop. Wierd, huh? The thing is, she doesn't eat regular meals, no matter how hard I try, and she only poops when she eats food. But she gets this horrible rash, even if I change her IMMEDIATELY, and she's red and rashy for a whole day. Not very long, I know, but I hate to see her in that agony, because she can't sit for 2 hours after I put the Desitin on. I've tried taking her in the shower (we don't have a tub) and cleaning her; I get the same results. I've tried leaving her nude and not putting any medicine on her, but the rash persists longer. I'm worried because my ex-husband caused my 2 middle kids to get yeast infections, so now i'm SUPER careful when it comes to rashes.

So what do you think? Should I try to potty train her? I think I forgot to mention that she's not talking yet . . . I don't know, i'm just worried about her!

Thanks everyone in advance, I really appreciate your help!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmb121906
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I don't think she will be real receptive to it. It's still awhile yet to where she can control her bladder. Have you talked to the dr??

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Its possible. Maybe you can try elimination communication.

teenmom0305
by Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM

See if she is intrestead in th potty. DD was following me into the bathroom by that age. I would take her diaper off and sit her on her potty. I never really tried to potty train til she was older but I introduced her and let her know that is not a toy and it stays in the bathroom.

coffeeluvnmom3
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:11 PM

she is way to young, you should see her dr. about the rash problem and not make her rush into potty training

lilbabe3769
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:11 PM

i think you should do what ever feels right for you and her. If you are going to potty train stay strong, once you start  dont stop until she has it down... it is exhausting... it has been done poor cuntries potty train the babies asap because they can not afford diapers. IF anything u will be trained and know when she has to go and holefully she will sit on the potty. I potty trained my daughter at 19 months. I think it take a kid at least 6 months to a year to be accisdent free.

UxorQuodMatris
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Have you talked to her doctor?

lilydoyle
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:16 PM

My first 2 kids I waited a long time to potty train them, and it was VERY hard. We go to the doctor on the 25, so i'll ask then, but like I said, she's getting this horrible rash and she can't sit for 2 hours, even with the medicine and a diaper on.

She constantly follows me and my husband to the bathroom, she keeps trying to play with the toilet paper, and she tries to move my hand when I wipe! lol

coffeeluvnmom3
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:17 PM

if the rash is that bad, you need to take her in now. That is child neglect letting her suffer like that!!

lilydoyle
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I took her to the ER last week, but they couldn't figure out why she's allergic to her poop, because she's not allergic to any food.

deann66
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:25 PM

It depends on the child. My middle child was ready around the age. I had the potty chair still from when my oldest potty trained and it was old fashioned and cute so I had it in the bathroom. Jaden walked at 9 months and followed me into the BR. At first she stepped in it like she thought she'd get a pedicure LOL. I said "Silly girl thats to go peepee like mommy" and she pulled her diaper off and went! She was far from being consistent. But was fully trained at, I think, 20 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)