Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crib to Bed?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM
  • 5 Replies

When did you move your child from a crib to a bed?  Did you use rails?  baby gate at the door?  toddler bed or twin bed?  Just wondering.....

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ConnersMom03
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM

We hadn't planned to transition my son as early as we did, but my SIL gave us a toddler bed her dd had outgrown so we decided to put it in his room across from his crib and let him try it out.  We let him decide and he slept in his crib for a couple more days.  Then he got interested and wanted to sleep in the bed for his nap one day and slowly started wanting to sleep in it more till about a week later he was transitioned to it.  He was 22 mos old.  His toddler bed is close to the ground and has small rails on the top of the bed.  I had originally planned on doing a twin bed, but am so glad we have a toddler bed.  I will probably keep him in it for another couple of years (till my 3 mo old dd is old enough to use it) and then get him a twin bed at that point.  I didn't use a baby gate.  I just taught him that he needed to stay in it.  It took a couple of weeks, but he learned.  If you decide to do a twin bed, I would definitely get rails.  Oh, also I think it ended up being a great time to transition him because we started potty training soon after then so it was good he could get out of the bed in the night to use the bathroom.  So I think it's definitely good to transition before potty training.

Lilypie - (rCkY)Lilypie - (QfLJ)Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Looking for a Fun WAH company?  Love Candles?
Debi, Independent Consultant for DiamondCreek Candles
Make Every Room Smile, or Start Working at Home for FREE

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:56 AM

We moved my older child when his brother was on the way, so it would have been about 2 1/2.  The younger child we moved when he started climing out of the crib, since there was no point after that in trying to confine him to a crib. We went right to twin beds rather than buy the extra toddler bed.  I put the bed against the wall and then pushed the crib up against the bed on the other side so that the child couldn't fall out but could climb out lower down on the bed where the crib didn't reach. After a few weeks I moved the crib away.

Hisservent
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:58 AM

my son was 2 weeks shy of his 2nd bday. We converted his crib to a toddler bed and put the side rails up. Then when he was about 2 1/2 we took the rails off. We did use a baby gate for the first few weeks, but he never got out of bed, so we took it down.

In a few weeks he is going to move into a regular twin bed so we can convert his toddler bed back into a crib to get ready for the baby. 

pregnancy week by weekI'm a Christian, 100% prolife, pro vaccin, natural product using, soy candle buring wahm and wife

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:00 PM

With our first we went to a toddler bed, and shut the door at bed and naps, then opended it once she was asleep.

UH, same with second actually lol. Our first though, she would fall asleep anywhere but the bed at first. The floor, IN the toybox... Our second took right to it.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Quoting AM-BRAT:

IN the toybox... ...

LOL! 

Our older son didn't understand at first that he could climb out of the bed. He was used to being lifted out of the crib. But he soon figured it out.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)