Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice needed Please is it normal or not? Should I be worried?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:23 AM
  • 6 Replies

I am the mother of three beautiful, sweet, boys. My oldest is 7. I have a four yr old and a 3 yr old, and both are "developmentally delayed". My oldest isn't. Anyway. I have an issue. Tonight we went to our bi-weekly card game. My husband and I play skipbo with some older people, and the kids play quietly on the floor. At some point, I was telling them how my middle child, Simon, doesn't like kisses anymore. He says yuck, and laughs. I never believed this to be a real problem, my oldest did the same thing for a while, snapped right back into liking them. I think when he stopped though he was probably five or so yrs old. One of the guys at the table says Ought oh, we know people that this has happened to. Mark my words, someday the kids going to be in real trouble. We know people with kids who did that, and they all had problems, big ones. Like newsworthy stuff. I told them Michael, my oldest, went through the same phase and he is fine, and the guy was like, ought oh thats not good. Gonna have problems with both of them.

Well, I was kind of about to start telling them my kids are good kids, with big hearts, but my husband stopped me with a look that said, "Just drop it". So I did. So when I am I sitting here now, writing to you all, begging for advice? I can't help but wonder if I should get my kids in counseling or something. What if he's right? He acted like my kids are the next serial killers or something. And although I keep thinking, my kids are good kids, they'd NEVER do anything like that, it just worried me a lot and I'm a little freaked out. Is this normal? Or should I be calling their ped first thing in the morning asking him who is a good psychologist for the kids? Thanks for any ideas.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
steph2884
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:28 AM

You shouldn't be worried about people's ignorant comments. This is probably a normal phase, especially for boys!! They start going through the whole cootie stage and mom is just another girl! Like you said, your oldest got over it. Let their ignorant comment slide off your shoulders. Don't freak and ask for a psychologist!!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:58 AM

In my experience that is normal for almost all kids at some point to say kisses and hugs are icky.  Ignore that commenter.

momofne
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Don't worry this is perfectly normal. In fact don't be surprised if they go through this phase again in their teens LOL! You kinda have to just take peoples comments with a grain of salt and let them slide (especially from older folks...geez some of the stuff I've heard!!).

MoxieMom.com
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:46 AM

OMG. Who would say that? And what the heck is he basing that on? Is he an expert? I don't think so.  Sounds like a motor mouth. Ignore him. Trust yourself. You know they have big hearts. Maybe drop the card club.

stpalmsgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:53 AM

LOL what an idiot.

I don't think you should be worried, it sounds totally normal and he'll snap out of that phase and will like kisses again, I am sure of it. You are their mother you don't need anyone telling you that there's something wrong with them because they don't like kisses at the moment, if there was something wrong with them you as their mother would know.

deann66
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:01 AM

All kids go through phases like that but I would protect them from listening to garbage like that. Kids believe what they hear and you can create a self fullfilling prophecy. Don't expose them to azzes like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)