Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTH??? What do I do???

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:17 AM
  • 7 Replies

I have a mouse or something in my wall. A few days ago I heard something in my ceiling first thing in the morning and it sounded to big too be a mouse. I mentioned it to a friend and she said probably a squirrel and it will find it way back out. I did not hear it again so life is good. But now I am sitting here in the living room and hear a teeny scratching sound in the wall! I dealt with mice out in my country house when they came in from the fields. But HTH do I get one out of a wall????? Do I get someone to do traps in the attic? Or do I just place traps like if it was in the kitchen and assume it isn't always hanging out in the wall? UGH. I hate this crap. Mice are so nasty.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
stpalmsgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:21 AM

What ever you do do not poison the mouse in the wall, if it dies in there it will leave a horrible smell for month! That happened to one of my friends. Can you tell from your attic where the mouse might have got into the wall? If so I'd heat up a piece of bacon and put it in a mouse trap , the smell should get the mouse out of the wall. Or peanut butter works good to.

Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Quoting stpalmsgirl:

What ever you do do not poison the mouse in the wall, if it dies in there it will leave a horrible smell for month! That happened to one of my friends. Can you tell from your attic where the mouse might have got into the wall? If so I'd heat up a piece of bacon and put it in a mouse trap , the smell should get the mouse out of the wall. Or peanut butter works good to.

You might still get that horrible smell if its trapped in the wall.

~ Michelle

CafeMom Tickers
deann66
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Lovely. I think I will be seeing how much pest control costs.

mommamiaria
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:14 AM

This happened to us many years ago. I could hear them in my bedroom while I was sleeping. My husband thought I was crazy at first but it seemed to get worse. I found wallpaper chewed up in the kitchen and a small pile of dog food under a small corner unit in my dining area that they must have stolen from the dog bowl. My neighbor was an exterminator and the first thing he told me to do was to look around for holes that they might be coming in from. I found a hole in the wall behind my refrigerator and closed it up. Then we set mouse traps in the kitchen and some rat poison. My neighbor set traps and sticky paper in the attic. Those traps were going off like crazy. We also secured all garbage and put them in cans with lids that could not be opened easy and put poison in the garage. Be sure if you have pets or children that none of these things are within their reach. I was so disgusted by the entire ordeal. I kept my house immaculate, had an exterminator that came every month inside and out and I couldn't figure out why me. Our neighbor said they were probably coming from elsewhere and enjoyed my Italian cooking leftovers. LOL! Not so funny at the time. Within a month it was over.

I would like to invite you to join THE COOKING CAFE. It's all about Food, Fun & Friends. Swap recipes, share ideas, ask questions or just hang out. We have a RECIPES section divided into categories to make it easy for our members to find what they are looking for. It's an awesome group and we would love for you to join us.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/27504

swizzlefiz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Eeeww!  Our cat used to bring live mice into our house!  Once one got behind out kitchen cabinets but we were able to get back there by removing the drawer from under the stove.  We ended up putting glue traps all over the kitchen(out of the cats reach, or so we thought).  The first thing that we caught was the cat!  Stupid animal!  She thought that the mouse was in the pantry and ran in there only to get completely stuck to the glue trap!  LOL that was fun to deal w/ at 11 pm.  We called the exterminator but all they did was give us more glue traps!  They did work after the cat learned her lesson about them :)

If it was me, I'd probably cut a hole in the wall and set a glue trap in there.  If you save the piece of wall you cut out, its very easy to patch it up.  Just make sure that you anchor the glue trap to the outside of the wall if you do that(like with a string or maybe even some type of thin wire), so that you don't lose the glue trap and the mouse in the wall!  Good luck

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Our exterminator has been able to keep the mice under control. I refuse the glue traps, they are too cruel. The poison is bad enough, but at least the mouse isn't struggling in vain to get loose. Before we had our exterminator handle the task we had the have a heart mouse traps and caught mice in those. Then my husband would take the mouse on a little ride a distance from here and let it go.

chefmartha
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:33 AM

We have a fight with the mice every year around this time at our house. They are coming in for the warmth and probablly food. So far I haven't had one in the house just the garage and attic. What we did was get some traps and cut mini peanutbutter cups in four. Place one on the set trap and walk away. For some reason they like the peanutbutter cups better than say cheese. Last year we caught quite a few this way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)