Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:31 AM
  • 4 Replies

My child is 3 and has had a cold for 7 days. I was just wondering when should you take your kids to the doctor? Any advise. She doesnt have a fever but is coughing a lot and it is keeping her awake at night. Is there anything you can give her ( meds)?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
spunky946
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Colds are supposed to last 7-14 days  The nurse at my dr office said that coughs can last a lot longer, but if they are being bothered by it, then they should be seen.  I would probably call and see if they want to see her.  I have taken my kids in before and it was just a cold only to find be back 2 days later with an infection of some sort.  You could probably go either way on it.  Take her in now, or wait a few days.  If her cough is keeping her up, you may want to take her in.  I hope she is feeling better soon.  Sick kids are no fun.

squidsmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I would call the doctor and just ask if there's anything you can give her. My mom tells me all the time (when I call with a question like this) that it doesn't cost anything to call the doctor and they know the answers.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Colds last for 2 weeks.  If she is coughing up discolored mucus or if her nose mucus is discolored- yellow, green, - then she might have a bacterial infection that could be treated. So a cold for 7 days would not cause me to take the child to the doctor. But if you are worried, or if something doesn't seem right-  wheezing, for example, seeming really sick, or whatever, then take her to the doctor so that you are reassured.

sweetpea1010
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Will the doctor give a 3 year old anything for a cough

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)