Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does my sons hands and feet turn blue?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:09 AM
  • 17 Replies

Since my son was 10 months old his hands and feet turn blue and get very cold off and on through the day. We have gone to the doctors office, seen 4 different doctors, none of them can tell me why. they say he'll grow out of it, or dress him warmer. Just before his 1st birthday we were eating breakfast and his hands and feet were blue. But as i feed him his eggs i felt this lips were cold. his tongue and lips were blue and he was shivering. i took him into the doctors again, saw a 5th doctor, still no answers. He is 13 months now, and still turning blue. We live in Iowa, so it is cold here, but the house is 68F, new windows so not to drafty. If anyone has a suggestion on what to do, or has this problem with there child please let me know. Thank you.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GADawgMom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Easy explaination. Bad circulation. Maybe take him to the doctor and let them review it. I have RLS and my 18th nerve is messed up so sometimes my feet get really cold.

carterscutie85
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Sounds like poor circulation to me. I have never heard of this before but here is a bump

dwintz2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Lack of proper circulation. Does it usually happen when he is in a certain position or just at random. Could be that the blood vessels supplying the hands and feet are not fully developed yet. As the body grows the vessels grow to accomodate the bigger blood volume which is why the drs say he will grow out of it 

alt075
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Yep poor circulation. This is common with babies. Nothing to worry about. As he get bigger it will take care of itself. :0)

zebbyzebby06
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM

my dd gets  that when she gets sick, (well past 2 times) 1st time she had pnamonia and b4 she had went to the doc, cause she was sick (not cause of her feet) adn they were soooo cold even though we had her dressed fine.   then most recent a couple days ago she got rsv and he feet were blue, i mentioned it and they said her circulation was fine and all, and just to keep her warmer lol.  so i put my  fleece socks on her and socks and she was fine. but dont know hwo to help but it happened twice to my dd and it was when she had respatory issues.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Take him to a heart doctor that deals with or specializes in children.  Don't panic, chances are it is something he'll grow out of. Dress him warmly inside.  I don't know if you can turn the heat up in your house but it might help-  68 sounds plenty warm to me, but maybe it needs to be warmer. The cardiologist should have suggestions and reassurances. Please keep us updated on this situation?

lexismum03
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:24 AM

my hands and feet don't turn blue but they do get extreamly cold. They always have. My mom said they use to turn blue. Its never been a big issue. I'm just a cold person. I always have socks on and I hate to have air blowing directly on me. I can't stand sitting near an air vent. I have learned to deal with it. I'd say if you are really concerned take him to a heart doctor.

CullenLover
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:43 AM

i agree , bad circulation, they do sell socks etc to help with circulation.

Pita_Dragonfly
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Exactly. 

Quoting Bmat:

Take him to a heart doctor that deals with or specializes in children.  Don't panic, chances are it is something he'll grow out of. Dress him warmly inside.  I don't know if you can turn the heat up in your house but it might help-  68 sounds plenty warm to me, but maybe it needs to be warmer. The cardiologist should have suggestions and reassurances. Please keep us updated on this situation?

hippiemom04
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I did notice most of the kids that have this problem do get it when their sick or have respiratory problems. Cam had asthma symptoms when he was younger. There isn't a certain time it happens. hands and feet are one thing, but his lips is what got me really worried. All the doctors said his heart and lungs sounds fine, and his oxygen is normal. My mom thinks he's growing so fast his body isn't keeping up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)