Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much sickness is normal (please help)?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son's thirteen months old and ever since he was about 8 or 9 months it seems like he's sick more often than not. They all have been minor colds and illnesses, but I've lost count of how many bugs he's picked up. He ALWAYS seems to have a cough or a runny nose.Is this normal??? I've mentioned it to my pediatrician who said that some babies just get sick a lot, but since he usually doesn't get a fever or anything I rarely bring him in so maybe he just thought I was exaggerating a bit. He's my first one so I don't know what to expect, but it seems like my friends babies don't get sick nearly as often as he does.

I'm not germophobic or anything, but for the most part I try to wash my hands and keep things clean. He doesn't have any siblings to catch things from but I do send him to a sitter 2 days a week who has 2 LO of her own and he also plays in the daycare at my gym while I work out. My sitter's boys haven't been sick at all and the gym won't take kiddos who are ill. Both places are really good about keeping the toys and everything else clean.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:13 PM

He is picking up bugs from the daycare and the sitter's, even if they don't have symptoms. Soon, your son will also have immunities.  This happened to both of my sons when they first started being around other groups of children.

JenniL05
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Does he have allergies?? My son had a constant runny nose whenever we were at my mom's and come to find out, he was allergic to cats. We've noticed he gets the same way around dogs as well. Do you guys have animals?

mumbellina
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM

No pets and I think he's actually getting sick because he'll be all flushed and miserable for a few days and sometimes get a low grade fever. Then things will gradually get better, but it seems like he's barely over one thing before he picks up something else.

kstanley_86
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:30 PM

A dr. I took my dd to told me that until they're 2 or 3 a kid can get a virus up to once a month that can last up to 2 weeks.  I know how you feel, my dd is almost 11 months and it seems like since she was a month or 2 every month or every other she's getting sick.

Lizzys_mommy13
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:33 PM

From everything I have read online, most kids get sick 8-10 time A YEAR!!! Some kids have weaker immune systems though and get sick more often. Just from what I have noticed of my hubbys friends, their kids get sick more often because they are in daycare and around other kids where they just pass it back and forth. Completely normal. :)

Proud mommy of a BEAUTIFUL little girl!!! I love my little Elizabeth!

naymommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:37 PM

My daughter was like that from part time daycare and daycare at teh gym.  She is almost 4 now and is hardly ever sick even her brothers are.   She is in PK even and has only been sick once this whole winter.  Far cry from her baby days.  Also cleaning your shopping carts helps a ton too.  He will have a good strong immune system down the road as hard as it is nopw for you!

mumbellina
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Thanks ladies! It's good to know that he's not the only one to get sick this much and that it will get better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)