Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time . . . please advise

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:20 PM
  • 20 Replies

I'm due in early March and this is my first baby.  I was wondering what goes in the diaper bag other than diapers and bottles (i plan on BF tho so prolly no bottles till i go back to grad school).  If this has already been up in another post sorry, i just wanna know if i forgot something.  I'm getting to that obsessive stage and it is all i can think about right now LOL!-)

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM

You'll want

Diapers and Wipes

Burp Cloths - Cloth diapers work great for this

At least 2 changes of clothes, complete outfits

A blanket (light recieving blanket would do)

I kept baby Tylenol, Motrin and Gas Drops

Anything that you think you MIGHT need while out or if you get stuck someplace longer than you expected.

These are just a few that I can think of, it's been awhile for me. I'll check back and see if there is anything else I can add.

"An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a
church. An Atheist believes that deed must be done instead of a prayer
said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into
death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated."

- Justin Brown

mumbellina
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I recommend getting 2 bags. A big one for long outings and a little one for quick errands and such. What you put in it will change as he/she gets older but always pack a spare outfit wherever you go!

lundaylove
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:26 PM

when they are itty bitty i always had an extra pair of clothes for baby and an extra shirt for me cuz you never know. then id get the cloth diapers from walmart or target and use those are burp cloths. they work better. so id have clothes, burp clothes, diapers, wipes, binkies, a lil thing of corn starch cuz it works better than diaper rash creme... i think that was it.

modelmom04
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:27 PM

That about covers it.  Also a paci if your baby ends up taking one. 

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

You'll want

Diapers and Wipes

Burp Cloths - Cloth diapers work great for this

At least 2 changes of clothes, complete outfits

A blanket (light recieving blanket would do)

I kept baby Tylenol, Motrin and Gas Drops

Anything that you think you MIGHT need while out or if you get stuck someplace longer than you expected.

These are just a few that I can think of, it's been awhile for me. I'll check back and see if there is anything else I can add.

AES514
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I bought my SO a " Diaper Dude" diaper bag that has a checklist on the top flap of what to bring...... including baby

falcon146
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM

diapers, (bottles if need be), wipes, burp rags, extra clothes or an outfit,diaper rash cream,  pacifier if you plan on using one, the nose sucker you never know when you will need it, an extra reciving blanket, i think thats about it i have two so i carry more stuff around like toys for my older one and his sippy cup as well as an extra bottle of water in case we run out while we are still running around! good luck and congrats!

lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:29 PM

In a diaper bag when I was BF, diapers, wipes, rash creme, 2 receiving blankets, a change of clothes for the baby (For those diaper blowouts they will happen)  when I BF when I'm out I always had a cover a larger blanket while I nursed.

But if you arer talking about your hospital bag? Then A robe, a change of clothes for me and my husband (I did not let him ho home, he stayed the whole time), a going home out fit for the baby, a camera.

RyansMommy6407
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I brought a few changes of clothes, blankets, bottels, diapers... don't worry if you forget anything cuz the hospital has everything you'll need. Mostly, I'd bring things for you and your SO (toothbrush, clothes, etc.) I actually stole a bunch of diapers and blankets from the hospital. lol. Have the bag packed atleast a month before your due date... ya never know... good luck

katiecat87
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I sometimes put a toy in there. So if we are going to a resturaunt then she would have something to keep her occupied oh and an extra paci. She was always dropping hers.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I like mumbellina's idea of two bags, one for quick trips and one for longer outings.   For the quick trips I'd say a couple diapers, an outfit change, wipes, bottle, a receiving blanket or small towel, a card with doctor's name,  emergency person phone number, list of allergies and medications taken regularly.  In addition for the longer outings (a few hours) another outfit change,  maybe tylenol. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)