Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help from all of the car seat experts. PIOG Edit

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:13 PM
  • 6 Replies

What is a good seat for extended rear-facing and then extended harnessing?  We bought our convertible car seat very quickly without really doing much research and then everyone on here has told me that it isn't good for forward facing or maybe just for a booster I don't really remember which (which I don't plan to do for a while). 

Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat - Westport - Dorel Juvenile Group  - Babies

Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat - Westport

This is the car seat that we currently have.  Should we get a different car seat now or wait?  What is a good one to get?  We want to rear face and harness as long as possible, she will be two in a week, weighs about 28lbs. and I am not sure about her height right now. We don't have a ton of money, although we could use or tax refund when we get it, to get a new one but obviously if we need to we can.  Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I was going back and forth between this and talking on the phone.  Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

EDIT:  She is about 34" tall and her torso is about 20" these aren't exact because she was obsessed with wanting to play with the tape measurer and wiggling around.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
WheelersWife88
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:19 PM

My son has the Graco My Ride65. He outgrew his infant carrier at 5 months and I really like this seat. He is 26lbs and 31inches long at 9 months. It rear faces to 40 lbs and FF to 65 lbs harnessed.

tabi_cat1023
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Well most kids around your daughters age start getting to tall to RF in that seat...if you want to ERF lets go over the height issue.

How tall is she?

How much space is between the top of her head and the top of the shell of the carseat?

I do recommend to get a seat that will RF longer, FFing this seat could be ok if it is the 50lbs version.  But it won't make it to 50lbs and it won't make a good booster.

Lets see her height and if you can measure her torso by having her sit next to the wall and mesuring from floor to shoulder that can give an idea as to what seat to get.

What price range are you looking for?

ZoeCY
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:28 PM

She is napping right now but I will check how tall she is and torso length as soon as she gets up.  We don't use it that often because I am a SAHM and usually if the two of us are going somewhere we will walk, but I didn't notice the last time she was in it it looked like she was getting close.  Price range is iffy, haha sorry I really have no idea, but I talked to my husband about it and we both agree that we would be willing to spend a bit if it meant a safer car seat that she can ride in longer.  Sorry I am not much help, I will get those measurements as soon as she gets up though.  Thanks!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Well most kids around your daughters age start getting to tall to RF in that seat...if you want to ERF lets go over the height issue.

How tall is she?

How much space is between the top of her head and the top of the shell of the carseat?

I do recommend to get a seat that will RF longer, FFing this seat could be ok if it is the 50lbs version.  But it won't make it to 50lbs and it won't make a good booster.

Lets see her height and if you can measure her torso by having her sit next to the wall and mesuring from floor to shoulder that can give an idea as to what seat to get.

What price range are you looking for?

dosthepost
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:33 PM

That seat RF to 35 lbs, and FF with a harness to 40... it's no good as a booster, but you should be able to use it just fine until she reaches 40 lbs. At which point, picking up a MyRide or nautilus... something that you can EH in, might be smart.

ZoeCY
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Bump for edit.

dosthepost
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Yikes 34 inches tall, you have a tall tall girl. She may grow out of that in height before weight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)