Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many of you did/are doing the extended rear facing???

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM
  • 126 Replies

Poll

Question: Did you?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 108

View Results

I am getting a little agitated about this topic. I just want to see what the general consensus is. My son is 15 months and we changed him to FF at 14 months. I am sick of people implying that I am a bad mother becuase I want my child to be comfortable. He is a tall toddler and his legs were getting cramped. He met all requirements to become FF though.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM
Replies (1-10):
cmb121906
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM

If you're comfortable in your parenting decisions, then it shouldn't bother you. Don't let it get to you.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

UxorQuodMatris
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:43 PM

My girls are 2 and 3 and they're both RF.

wife.and.mommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM

1 year and 20 lbs is when my DD will be turned, and my son was turned as well.

i go by the RECOMMENDED age and weight range, and as of 2010 it is still posted as 1 year and 20 lbs.

Age Group 

Type of seat

General Guidelines

Infants 

Infant seats and rear-facing convertible seats

Infants should ride rear-facing until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by their car safety seat’s manufacturer. At a minimum, children should ride rear-facing until they have reached at least 1 year of age and weigh at least 20 pounds. When children reach the highest weight or length allowed by the manufacturer of their infant-only seat, they should continue to ride rear-facing in a convertible seat.

KCarroll08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I can see your point about how he wasn't fitting well facing rear.  I plan to stay rear facing as long as possible.  If she, like your son, becomes cramped the I will turn her as long as she meets requirements.

CullenLover
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:45 PM

i dont RF , we only RF a little past a yr , both my kids are tall kids and there was no way i was going to have them cramped.

Jewelzgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I turned my child around the moment she qualified.  I never heard of erf or anything like that before this site.  Would I do it if I had to do it again.  Nope.  It was bad enough I couldn't see her when she was rear faced.  I couldn't get her turned around fast enough.  

carterscutie85
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I am going to buy a Graco MyRide65 and that RF till 40lbs. Then it forwards faces so after 40lbs I will switch him, he should be well over a year old by that time I imagine. I just want him to RF as long as possible.

ZoeCY
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM

My daughter will be two in a week and she is still rear facing.  It is what is best for our family.

BabyJae
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:50 PM
My dd was rear faced until she was 18 months because she didn't meet the requirements. My son is 10 months and well over 20lbs and when he turns 1 I will b ff him. I can careless what someone else has to say.
WheelersWife88
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:50 PM

My son is only 9 months so we still HAVE to rear face him. He is a big boy though 26lbs 31inches long. I bought the MyRide65 so we can keep him RF as long as possible. It is just my personal opinion but I want to feel like I did everything possible to keep him safe if an accident did happen.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)