• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast feeding mommas i need help with a lil one i watch (Edited)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

OK so i started watching a 3 month old today, he is a breastfed baby and momma brought bottles of breast milk and formula just in case he didn't take the breast milk in the bottle, but my question is he will not eat at all for me out of the bottle is it because he is so used to mommy and just wants her or the breast? is there any way to get him to eat from the bottle? she said it might be because i just started watching him and hes not used to me but i think there is more to it. please mommas i need advice on this he hasn't eaton since 5:30 when she fed him. he was supposed to eat at 9:30 and its 2:20. i feel so bad for the lil guy but is there anything that i can do? thanks in advance ladies.

he finally ate, thank goodness it bothered me so much

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mom2queenie2004
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Has she or anyone else ever fed him by bottle? If not, then he is not sure how to suck a bottle, it will take time. If he has had a bottle, I wouldn't worry too much either, he will eat when he has too.

darbie2008
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

when my mom watched her friends son the only way he would take the bottle of bm was if my mom was wearing a shirt that her friend had worn something about it smelling like mommy calmed him enough to eat

CafeMom Tickers
cage0101
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM

she said her mom and friends can feed him from a bottle but he wont take a bottle from her either, she said he will eat when he wants to but it bothers me cuz hes in my care and not eating

Quoting mom2queenie2004:

Has she or anyone else ever fed him by bottle? If not, then he is not sure how to suck a bottle, it will take time. If he has had a bottle, I wouldn't worry too much either, he will eat when he has too.

Mzpolarbear
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:41 PM

if he is just starting with you, there is already lots of new things for him to adjust to.  Keep offering him the bottle, but don't stress if he does not eat.  He will eventually get comfortable and find a new routine for feedings.  A friend of mine whose daughter is breastfed and in day care, changed her eating cycle to eat more at night when at home with momma to nurse and sporadically took a bottle at day care.  

BigBoMom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM

my son did the same thing to anyone who watched him. he will not starve himself, so just keep trying!!! try holding as you would if you were bfeeding him to make him more comfortable, and just keep introducing it. i know its hard, especially if there are other ones that you are watching too. Good Luck!

mumbellina
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Are you warming it up? My little guy would never take cold milk and he did go through phases where he wouldn't want to drink as much. As long as he's still having wet diapers he's hydrated so I wouldn't worry too much. As a PP said, hunger will eventually take over and he'll start taking the bottle for you.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I've taken care of many breast fed babies that took a bottle.  It might be because you are new to him.  Hopefully he will get use to you soon.  A couple suggestions...hold him like your breast feeding him (his one arm behind you, close to your chest etc.) and warm the bottle up like 98.6 degree breast milk would be.  Good luck!

cage0101
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:05 PM

thank you ladies, i needed words of encouragement i hope he eats soon thanks again

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
NavyWifey122305
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Try putting him against your skin when you feed him. You dont have to go shirtless LOL put on like a tank top and rest him on your chest so he has the skin to skin feeling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)