Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Please Hearing Eval (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM
  • 6 Replies

My DS is 16 months old.  He has been evaluated as being at a 9 month old language level.  They have recommended that we get his hearing checked.  He has been sick on and off since October.  So they want to see if he has fluid on is ears.  He will begin speech therapy after this evaluation.   He is going in for the testing on this Thursday.  Any recommended questions that I should make sure to ask? 

CafeMom Tickers

Fall 2008 babies! Group Admin

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
canthaveboys1
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:40 PM

BUMP!!!

mna_823
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Not sure momma, but here's a BUMP

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:25 PM

When I took my son in for a hearing evaluation they also observed the way I spoke to make sure that it was not my speech that was hard to understand, but it was OK. I can't think of anything else to ask other than do they predict that his speech skills will catch up to normal. Does he need tubes. And all the question about tubes- swimming, bathing, etc.  Best of luck you you and your son. Please keep us updated.

PrincessMermaid
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I have three children. My two youngest are both developmentally delayed. Their speech therapy is mostly due to the ear infections they frequented when they were younger, before ear tubes were put in place. I don't remember what questions I asked, but I didn't want you to think you are alone! *Hugs*

e-doolittle
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:55 PM

bump

deann66
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:09 AM

My youngest went through all that. When he was tested as language impaired I was told he would have learning disabilities, was higher risk of things like adhd and would always be behind. Don't believe them. My son was in spec ed for 3 years and tested out. He still gets speech therapy to be sure he can qualify for assistance programns if he struggles. He is adhd but very manageable....being adhd does mean a challenge forever. He is very intelligent and reads at an 8th grade level. Highest scores in his class in everything except math. He had many ear infections as an infant and I was told because he heard as if under water he did not learn to speak or undersatand as quickly as he could have. But he caught up!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)