Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tacos: how do you fix them from the taco kits?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM
  • 11 Replies

Yup, we're having tacos from a taco kit for dinner.  Usually we put shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheddar and sour cream on them.  It's getting kind of boring, how can we change it up? Maybe a hearty taco soup?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
college.mom0f2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I learned a new recipe you cant start it right now i dont think it will be done in time for dinner, but for another night...its slow cooker enchilada casserole...http://www.recipezaar.com/Crockpot-Slow-Cooker-Enchilada-Casserole-353224

Schleetle
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I usually put corn, and DH likes spicy ranch on his.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

CafeMom Tickers

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Never any more.  I got sick of taco shells breaking up so we just do taco salad with smashed up chips.  We also go burritos some too. 

DaisyAg2003
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Taco salad.

Make bowls out of your tortillas by baking them in small round casserole dishes with a ball of foil in them to keep them from bubbling up in the middle.

Mix together a salad...add taco meat, ranch style beans (drained), cheese, and then top with sour cream or guacamole.

Let me look around and see what else I have.

BaileynMe
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM

There's a recipe for "Nacho Mac" on the back of some Velveeta mac n cheese meal boxes, but if you can't find a box on the back, basically what you do is cook the mac n cheese like normal. While it's boiling, brown 1lb of burger in a skillet; drain. Add 3/4 cup of water and a packet of taco seasoning (I add additional garlic salt and cumin because I find the taco seasoning lacking.) Simmer that for 5 minutes. Add 3/4 c sour cream to finished mac n cheese mixture. Pour half the mac n cheese into an 8x8 pan, then layer with the burger mixture and about 1/4-1/2 c of cheddar cheese (I used a mexican blend and it was fine.) Pour on the remaining mac. Cover and bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; add another 1/4-1/2 c cheese on top, then spread about 1/2-3/4 c salsa on top (whatever salsa you like) then top with coarsely crushed tortilla chips. Bake uncovered for another 5-7 minutes. Voila! It's really yummy. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:33 PM

We make double deckers...we put an outer shell of soft tortilla...then refried beans then hard shell...and all the fixins.

Or

You can do Taco Stacks !

~ Michelle 

CafeMom Tickers
DaisyAg2003
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Here is a recipe for taco soup..i think this is the same one I used, but I can't remember...I for one LOVE taco soup!

Ingredients

• 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 (15 ounce) can mild chili beans
  • 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
  • 1 (1 ounce) package ranch salad dressing mix

Directions

1. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.

DaisyAg2003
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Just thought of another one that my family LOVES!!!

Skillet Tamale Pie

1 lb ground meat
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 14 oz can kidney beans, undrained
1 can whole kernal corn (optional), drained
3/4 cup water
1 8 oz pkg corn muffin mix (or your favorite corn bread recipe)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Brown meat in large skillet on med-high.  Drain fat.  Stir in seasoning mix, tomato sauce, beans, corn, and water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes.

Meanwhile prepare corn bread mix according to box (or your recipe).  Drop by small spoonfuls over meat.  Cover, cook on low for 15 minutes, or until cornbread is done. 

Sprinkle with cheese and green onions.  Cover, cook on low until cheese is melted.

Then you can top with what ever else you want...I like sour cream

raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Yummo!

Quoting Wish2Be:

We make double deckers...we put an outer shell of soft tortilla...then refried beans then hard shell...and all the fixins.

Or

You can do Taco Stacks !

~ Michelle 

raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Thanks ladies for the replies.  I don't have some of the other ingredients listed in your recipes, so I will save this post and use one of your recipes (and pick up the necessary items) next Monday.  Thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)