• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

still not talking?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:39 PM
  • 19 Replies

My daughter is 21 months old and still doesnt really talk. She says some things like Choo Choo, momma, dadda, bye, boo ( for peek a boo) but not a whole lot more. She is really smart though as far as other things like playing interactive games like patty cake... etc. Should i be worried or will she start picking things up along the way??? how old where your children when they started talking?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lundaylove
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:44 PM

at that point i might start getting concerned. Does she communicate in other ways like signing or gesturing? IF she does that i would wait a bit but id start repeating things, naming things, to the point where it annoys you but that repition may help her speak more.

also look into Hanen- It takes two to talk. When we started the program with my daughters on their 2nd birthday Alayna had 50 words, Riley had 3... at the end of the 9 week class Alayna had over 200 words and Riley had 30 (riley also has low frequency hearing loss so those 30 are amazing!). So i know this program works! www.hanen.org

vikat317
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:46 PM

i wouldn't be to worried about it...my nephew is going to be 3 in and still doesn't have a big vocabulary...he is getting the basics down though such as momma dadda and his new favorite NO WAY!!! LOL....just don't ever stop working with her...interaction is the biggest thing...my daughter is 7 now and she started talking when she was 2....and like your daughter mine was super smart at so many things....but like i said never stop teaching :)

vikat317
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:48 PM

also i wanted to add that kids are going to do things when they feel like it :) im sure when she is ready she will start spilling the full sentences and your just gonna be like "where did that come from" haha....i wish you luck though....

KristynRuth
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I agree with vikat317.. I wouldn't be too concerened, just keep on trying to teach her different words! Kids progress at ALL different ages so when one parent's kids starting babbling away is irrelevant to your precious little one!

CariO.
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:50 PM

My mother always tells the story about my brother who didn't speak until age 2.  He's the same brother who excelled at everything in life.  He's a wealthy doctor now.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Wait until the 2 year check up with the pediatrician and see what's happening then. 

motherofthre166
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM

i would wait. my oldest didnt start talking till she was two in ahalf and still couldnt understand her very much but time her third b day come around she was talking alot better so dont worry it will just take some time good luck

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM

My daughter is 20 months old and basically talks when she wants to.  She says "uh-oh" when she throws something or whenever else it's appropriate, but not too much else.  She knows how to say "mama" and "dada" but whenever we try to get her to say it, she smiles at us like we're stupid, lol.  I think she's just stubborn.  She babbles in baby talk a lot, so I'm not too overly concerned.  Plus she was born 10 weeks early, so I sort of let her do things on her own terms.

wife.and.mommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM

it doesnt hurt and its free to have your DD evaluated by early intervention.

DS did not talk by age 15 months and he qualified for Speech through EI.

granted he has other issues, but he would have qualified regardless.

at 2.5 years old, he can say anywhere from 200-300 words, sing the alphabet A through Z (no prompting) and can count to 15 (again no prompting)

starryeyez23
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:57 PM

my Ds was like 2 1/2 before he really started talking.

rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM

My kids didnt start talking until they were around 22 months. They're now 4 and 2.5, and they speak exceptionally well. Some kids just take longer to do things. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)