Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2nd baby???

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM
  • 17 Replies

So our son's 13 months old and DH and I are talking about when/if to try for a second. On the one hand I want our little boy to have a playmate and part of me does want to have another baby. But I was so overwhelmed with just 1 baby and it seems like things have just recently started to settle down. He was a kind of fussy baby at first and I really wondered those first few weeks if I'd made a huge mistake. I can't even imagine having to take care of a newborn AND an older child.

I want to know from you mamas with 2 kiddos what it was like going from 1 kid to 2. Please don't sugarcoat things. I really want the honest truth. Also I would like to know how far you spaced them and if you would space them the same if you could go back and change it. Thanks.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TaysMom041908
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:15 PM

well I am not going to be too much help since my second is not born yet but my kids will be 24 months apart. My DD was born on April 19th and my due date with this one is April 12.

mommyziegler
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I'll have to let you know in may/june.. But i got pregnant when my dd was around 16 months old.. She will be 2 april22nd and i'm due june2nd but the doctors are taking him in may. I'm so excited that they will be 2 yrs apart

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                               its a boy

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    Baby boy due June 2, 2010

onefootcutiepie
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Mine are all less than 2 years apart. It was hard the first few years, but I wouldn't change it for the world. They are great friends now. I homeschool, so they are together all the time.

Braxmommy14
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Well, i only have one child ( a son that just turned 2 last month ). And he was colicky, so it was hell for the first 3 months and I wondered the same thing, it kinda traumatized me, I'm scared my next one will be like that ! But I just asked this question ( whats the best age gap between siblings) I got a few different responses, but most said between 2-3 yrs. Especially if you want them to have the same interests and more in common. So if thats the case you may want to start trying now, because who knows how long it will take ? I plan on trying again in late summer early fall ( only because I want a summer baby ), my son was born 3 days after Christmas and too many nephews/niece are born in Nov/Dec.

MyLittleMan105
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Well, I just want one kid...but IF hubby INSISTS then we will do a four year gap. I think its a great age because they can listen and do stuff on their own. The 2-3 year age is horrible and kids need a lot of attention at that stage for potty-training/tantrums/etc...

lilmansmama2006
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I had my second baby almost 8 months ago and my 1st was 3 months away from being 3. They get along well and my oldest loves his brother but going from 1 to 2 is hard to get back into routine.I was use to sleeping in until 9 and then i had to start getting up at 6 again. And i swear that my oldest always is getting into something when i was bf the baby or changing the baby. Going places like shopping is always crazy with getting ready or keeping them calm while eating out. After a while though it becomes routine like it was with having one and you just get use to it. A friend of mine had here babies a year apart and her kids are always fighting and driving her crazy . I would never have kids that close together because I couldn't handle it but I think 2-3 years apart is good.

mumbellina
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Maybe we'll get prego around the same time. I'm toying with the idea of trying as early this summer, but I'm so scared that I'll find out after it's too late that I can't handle it. How do you know when you're ready?

LilBldSoccerMom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I remember feeling really overwhelmed for the first 2.5 months.  Then it started to get easier.  It's a lot harder to find a babysitter for two.  I had no problems finding one when it was just my daughter.

I think it helped me that my daughter was 4 when her brother was born.  She wanted to be the little helper, and that was fun for us both.

If/when you decide to have another child everything will just fall into place. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
ErikaM27
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM

It is hard you have another child to take care of. Sometimes it gets upsetting you put the baby to sleep and the older one wakes him/her up. It's going to be tiring. It's frustrating and times but I love it all. I have my 2 boys 4 and 9 months and we should have not waited this long but they love each other so much. the baby always looks for his big brother. My older son loves his baby brother. I would have had them closer together but we weren't ready yet but I know they're not too far apart either.  No matter when you have another one it will be a change. But you will manage!

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:37 PM

My kids are three years apart. I honestly thought two was easier than one. They had a little buddy to keep them busy and happy. With just one, it seemed like I was aways busy entertaining him. Once the new baby came around, I was boring. He wanted to spend all his time with his bro.

Mom                  Dad              Chazz (7y)         Rocco (4y)         Joey (16m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who loves her tattoos, piercings, and hair dye

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)