Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where would you want your child to be sitting?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:22 PM
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: which one would you want to be your child assuming you had a child the size of one of these dummy's.

Options:

Rearfacing in the middle

in the 5 point harness

in the high back booster

in the no back booster

in just a seatbelt

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

So these crash tests were done at 35mph. all of the are frontal impacts.

The dummy in the Forward Facing car seat the seat belt - and in both booster seats is the 6 year old dummy weighing 51lbs

The baby in the RFing carseat is the one year old dummy - i'm not sure of the weight.

So my question is simple if you were in an accident - where which dummy would you want to be your child??  THIS ISN"T about what your child weighs or uses now.  Assume that you have a child that fits with in the limit of which ever seat you would want.

on a interesting side note - ALL these children are restrained correctly according to the law in Florida.

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaBunch84
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM

BUMP!

I'm Ashley! I'm 25 & married to my high school sweetheart Chris. Together for 8 1/2 yrs now. We have 2 1/2 yr old blue eyed, blonde curly haired fraternal twin boys, Mason & Connor. Who Rear Faced to the Max & now will be Harnessed to the Max! I am a SAHM and a proud Child Safety Passenger Advocate (CPSA). Have car seat questions? PM me or join the Car Seat Safety Group HERE.

tabi_cat1023
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Either the RFing child or the FFing harnessed child for SURE..depends on if the child was over 35lbs and couldn't be RFing in that seat KWIM?

ajswenson
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM

That's why I voted 5pt harness....my son is 45 pounds so that's where he has to be.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Either the RFing child or the FFing harnessed child for SURE..depends on if the child was over 35lbs and couldn't be RFing in that seat KWIM?

MommaBunch84
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM

RF for sure. But if they are over 35lbs like my boys, then harnessed FF.

I'm Ashley! I'm 25 & married to my high school sweetheart Chris. Together for 8 1/2 yrs now. We have 2 1/2 yr old blue eyed, blonde curly haired fraternal twin boys, Mason & Connor. Who Rear Faced to the Max & now will be Harnessed to the Max! I am a SAHM and a proud Child Safety Passenger Advocate (CPSA). Have car seat questions? PM me or join the Car Seat Safety Group HERE.

La-Belle-Vie
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:31 PM

same here

Quoting MommaBunch84:

RF for sure. But if they are over 35lbs like my boys, then harnessed FF.

MissiHampt
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:35 PM

RF or FF harnessed.....depending on the weight of the child.

Off topic, kinda.....but I wanted to get some input on this.  My son is currently 41 pounds so he has a while to go in his harness.  After that, though.....would I be insane to consider having 5 point harnesses installed in the back seat of my car?  Like, the type used in racecars?  It's about 300 bucks and could fit anyone who sits back there.....

Not sure if I'd actually do it or not, but it's something silly hubby and I talked about tonight.

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

jkrew
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:39 PM

rear facing of course! But my car doesn't have a middle back seat so my boys are outboard. And in our other car they are outboard as well because my older son kept bugging the younger one LOL!

hurleydoll18
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:48 PM

RF of course!!!  But my son is still able to RF.  He he outgrew all RF car seats, then I'd want him harnessed FF. 

jrp0606
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:00 PM

I wouldn't race car harnesses aren;t designed for children and childrens skeletons.

plus there is some debate as to whether they are a legal restraint for a child.

Personally I would feel better having a child in a seat that has been tested and designed to protect a childs body.

There are lots of seat that harness past 40lbs now - that from $70 to $500

Quoting MissiHampt:

RF or FF harnessed.....depending on the weight of the child.

Off topic, kinda.....but I wanted to get some input on this.  My son is currently 41 pounds so he has a while to go in his harness.  After that, though.....would I be insane to consider having 5 point harnesses installed in the back seat of my car?  Like, the type used in racecars?  It's about 300 bucks and could fit anyone who sits back there.....

Not sure if I'd actually do it or not, but it's something silly hubby and I talked about tonight.

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Neither of my kids were ever in the middle, they were on each side. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)