Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I never hear about ERF unless on CM, so why does everyone make such a huge deal? **Small edit at the bottom**

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM
  • 308 Replies

1 year of age AND under or weighing less than 20 pounds: a rear facing infant seat.

Between 1 - 4 years old or 20 - 40 pounds: a forward facing child safety seat.
Children under 8 years of age, unless 4 feet 9 inches tall: a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt.

These are the current laws. I see so many posts about Extended Rear Facing and I have noticed that everyone who does it seems to think it is the only safe way to do it and act like its so horrible or against some law for anyone to do otherwise. 
The ONLY time I have ever heard of ERF is on cafemom, so this leads me to beleive its not even popular enough or a big enough deal to even put it on the news at some time. Comercials dont even show it. 
I cant stand the people who seriously throw a huge fit over the fact that anyone actually FFs their 1 year old child, until I see a car comercial or until I see in the news or until its a law ERF is only an opinion.  Why do people feel the need to PUSH this on others? I dont understand it?
I turned my son around as soon as his ped told me I could, it was his first birthday and he was 30lbs.  My daughter was 20lbs and 1 when I turned her around.  I wrote a post around that time and showed a picture of her facing forward and got attacked vicously lke I was the most horrible mother in the world.  You would have thought I did something so horribly wrong the way those women were attacking me and the things they were saying to me. My sister has had her son FF since he was 1, he is 18 months old. And when her daughter is the age and weight she will most likely change her to a FF carseat. IMO its safe and all the laws and peds say so.

So my question is this, if ERF is SO much safer then why aren't more people talking about it? Why isnt it a law or even being considered? Why do pediatricians tell parents that it is ok to FF their children if its so dangerous to do so? They do extensive tests on cars and seats and come up with the safety guidlines and in most of these tests the "child" is not hurt.
I am sure that ERF is somewhere online, and I am sure that you can pull it up off a website somewhere, but its not such a big deal that EVERYONE is talking about it. Why do people have to freak out so much if another parent does not choose to ERF??
Now I am not looking for drama, just a discussion between grown women thanks.

Now many people seem to be getting angry with me, no reason to do so I am just curious. So many people know nothing about ERF and have never heard about it.  They go with what they are told by car seat clinics, drs, or what they read ON THE CAR SEAT. Most people dont research car seats because they assume that they are safe. They assume, like I did when my kids were born, that if the seat is sold in the store it must be safe enough to standards or they wouldn't be selling it.  Last year, not even that long ago, on cafe mom was when I first heard the term ERF, and yeah I was one of those moms who didnt read the car seat manual because I didnt have one. My car seats were used because I didnt ahve the money to buy a new one and just used the new one my sister had for her daughter, it was just a year old and from what I knew at the time it was still good, the date on the car seat was a year away and I assumed like most people would that it was fine.  I didnt know then that WIC helped with car seats.
I have seen people say that if you put your child FF then you are essentially damning your child to death.  I have had people tell me that I should not be a mother because of the one picture of my daughter FFing. I even saw on a reply here that stupid people dont ERF. I am just not understanding why people cant educate without being completely rude or mean?  Why say hateful things when you see that someone doesnt ERF?  I am not saying that ALL OF YOU DO, I am just saying that I have seen many people who do and dont understand why they have to be mean about it. 
I am not mad about anyones replies, so dont think that I am just putting everyone down, i am just trying to reply to something someone says.  Sometimes when I say something it comes out wrong and everyone misunderstands me and I have to try and clarify what I said, but mostly some people are just not liking what I have to say.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaM27
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I am with you on this one. I had never in my life heard about this until I read it on cafemom. So I don't know..

lundaylove
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:50 PM

are you seriously trying to start drama? really? as for why its not law not enough people follow the current crappy laws in place so why on earth would they extend it? as for not knowing about it...maybe because Americans have not placed enough importance on it...maybe we do it cuz car accidents are the number 2 killer in america... maybe we dont want to see children suffer. Sweden and other european countries have been ERFing for years... they rear face to 4-5 yrs old, guess what- they had 2 car accident related deaths last year, 2!  so ya it is getting more popular over here as more people become more receptive. Dont come in here starting drama... you saw what happened earlier im sure.......

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Well, I think it's lame that women attack each other about it. I get that it's a safer alternative, less likely to cause internal decapitation. But women on this site do bash other too much. 

Mom                  Dad              Chazz (7y)         Rocco (4y)         Joey (16m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who loves her tattoos, piercings, and hair dye

MyLittleMan105
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:52 PM

You know, I've been wondering why eating healthy is such a big deal!???

I mean, I don't see commercials telling me to eat healthy! I see Junk food commercials!

I don't hear people talking about eating healthy...I hear them talking about dieting!

I haven't heard of anyone recently getting hurt from eating unhealthy... 

My doctor didn't "TELL" me to eat healthy--he just said in moderation...

And when I mention it, why do people freak out when I tell them I had cheetos for lunch every day this week? 

I mean, if eating healthy is such a big deal--why didn't God hang a sign in the sky over my house?

Instead...I just read about it in textbooks and in that health section at Barnes & Nobles....oh well.

coffeeluvnmom3
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:55 PM

drama

RheaF
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Actually the first place I heard about it was my Pedi's office. Then again he usually stays up to date on AAP and WHO recommendations and such. Yes it is legal (for now at least) to turn DS around, but it is not as safe. Not bashing you here, but it has been proven safer to RF untill at least 2 years old, by many organizations. Including the AAP.

lundaylove
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM

OMG i think i love you!

Quoting MyLittleMan105:

I mean, I don't see commercials telling me to eat healthy! I see Junk food commercials!

I don't hear people talking about eating healthy...I hear them talking about dieting!

And when I mention it, why do people freak out when I tell them I had cheetos for lunch every day this week? 

I mean, if eating healthy is such a big deal--why didn't God hang a sign in the sky over my house?

Instead...I just read about it in textbooks and in that health section at Barnes & Nobles....oh well.

tabi_cat1023
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:58 PM

The thing is its not CALLED extended rear facing, BUT carseat manuals actually say that they recommend rearfacing to the maximum weights and height of there seats.

This was in my sons manual in 2002.

AAP recommends it, as does Dr. Sears..thsoe are not just on cafemom.

aelopez
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:58 PM

i agree with you all. i dont get why other mothers have to bash others about it. I did the same as you, OP. As soon as my pedi told us we could turn the kids around...i did it. If its your preference to ERF your child...thats good for you. You wont catch me judging you. But to bash another mother for doing what she feels is right for her child...SO wrong

Quoting ErikaM27:

I am with you on this one. I had never in my life heard about this until I read it on cafemom. So I don't know..

swizzlefiz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Great point!  Way to put it into perspective :)

Quoting MyLittleMan105:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)