Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training advice PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:20 PM
  • 3 Replies

So I'll be honest, I have no clue how to go about this whole potty training thing. With my DD, I worked when she was young and her daycare provider PT her. Now I have ds who is almost 18 months old. Anyway, how do you know your child is ready to start potty training? What age is best for doing so? Also he doesn't really talk much yet, but understands everything, so will his not talking be an issue? And last of all what sort of schedule did you use when starting out? TIA

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mommaplzzzz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Is he staying dry thru the night and waking up dry?? That is a good sign that his bladder is able to control itself..

RyansMommy6407
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:30 PM

I used to work for a pedi, and he told all the patients the best time to fully potty train is when they can put atleast a 3 word sentance together. Mine is 2 1/2 and still not potty trained... I've tried and tried and tried again, but I just don't think he's ready

3sonsmommy
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I potty trained my 3rd son at 18 mo. I had heard that other peolple had done it so I decided to try. I stocked up on about 15 pairs of training pants and decided to try for 2 weeks and if he was doing well I would stick with it if not I was going to try again later. After 5 days I just wanted to quit already, he had no clue! I had heard about the 3 day training but thought no way do I want my kids running around naked  peeing all over my house! But on about the 5th day he just happened to be running around naked while I was getting dressed (after sitting on the potty seat and not going). all of a sudden he ran to the potty seat, sat down and went!! I decided there must be something to it so I gave it a try. By the 3rd day he still had I think 7 accidents (he would start to pee and I would put him on the potty) but day 4 boom 0 accidents!!! At that point he was starting to speak pretty well and learned the word "potty" within a couple of days. There were drawbacks to doing it so young, 1 he was not big enough to put his pants and undies back on after he went, 2 not big enough to really practice wiping, 3 too small for the big toilet. But all in all I think for us it was worth it and we saved atleat $600 doing it at 18mo instead of 2 1/2.  I trained my oldest at 2 1/2 and my second at 2, i did those the long and hard way, Trust me the 3 day method is definately the way to do it and not nearly as gross as it sounds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)