Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

High risk labor question...hospital dropped the ball all around.

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:08 AM
  • 28 Replies

So my neighbors sister went into labor on Tuesday night. When her water broke, it was green. They immediately went to the hospital when they noticed that. 7 hours after they got there, she was ready to push, was allowed to push for 2 hours before their daughter was born. She wouldn't push the epidural button because if she did, the baby's heart rate dropped. There was cord compression and obviously merconium, too. She successfully had a vaginal delivery, the baby was briefly put on her chest so they could cut the cord and suction her mouth and nose. Then they whisked the baby away to life flight her to another hospital because of the merconium. The doctors and nurses knew about it before she was delivered. Anyway, ALL the nurses and doctors went with the baby to the helicopter, leaving this poor 19 year old and her husband in the room. She was left with her shirt on that was now covered in poop because of the baby, she wasn't cleaned up after the delivery, her sister and mother had to sit her on a bedpan and then help her into the shower. 4 1/2 hours after the delivery, they discharged her so she could go to see her baby. They never checked her to see if she was ok, she wasn't admitted into the other hospital. 2 days later, her sister asked the nurses of the hospital where the baby was transferred to if they would check to make sure that the new mom was ok. Seems to me like everything was done wrong under all the extreme circumstances. Anyone else think that or does all this sound normal?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommywsej
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:10 AM

That is crazy! There is usually two medical teams. One for the baby and one for the mom...

squidsmommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:13 AM

They started messing up as soon as they started letting her push the baby out instead of an emergency c-section. Everyone disappeared as soon as the baby was whisked away. They left her there a mess and hysterical because they never said a word about what was going on. Family had to calm her down and reassure her. At that point, she didn't even know if her baby was still alive. I'm so glad I didn't listen to everyone and go to that hospital for my children to be born.

Quoting mommywsej:

That is crazy! There is usually two medical teams. One for the baby and one for the mom...

othermom
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:22 AM

That is just messed up.

OliviasMom0306
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:22 AM

As much as I hate this,  I'd be contacting a lawyer immediately!  A vaginal delievery should get at least 48 hours of recovery.  To many things can happen in those 48 hours it isn't safe to go home.  When I had my first, I also had the me...poop(sorry can't remember the name) in my water.....I delievered 8 hours later, vaginally, with no complications.  BUT they had told me about what special measures they were taking to make sure my daughter didn't get hurt.  Them not telling her is BS!  And the not taking care of her afterwards is neglect.  I hate saying this, because way to many people are sue happy, but honestly something needs to be done and this brought into attention.  they knew they messed up, and they just kept screwing around.

Lynn- 23, Ray-31,Olivia- 2 1/2, pregnant with baby #2expecting boy

2MonstersxMommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:25 AM

There is usually 2 teams of nurses/doctors, but other than that everything was done right. Dr's don't like to bother moms who are under extreme stress due to NICU babies. If she has a problem then it's up to her to call the doc. Plus, her doc would call her to schedule an appt sooner or later.

God Bless

2MonstersxMommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:26 AM

But if your baby is at a different hospital in the NICU, would you want to be stuck in your own city and not be able to see him/her? This is WAAAAY common-it even happened to me when my baby was transferred.

Quoting OliviasMom0306:

As much as I hate this,  I'd be contacting a lawyer immediately!  A vaginal delievery should get at least 48 hours of recovery.  To many things can happen in those 48 hours it isn't safe to go home.  When I had my first, I also had the me...poop(sorry can't remember the name) in my water.....I delievered 8 hours later, vaginally, with no complications.  BUT they had told me about what special measures they were taking to make sure my daughter didn't get hurt.  Them not telling her is BS!  And the not taking care of her afterwards is neglect.  I hate saying this, because way to many people are sue happy, but honestly something needs to be done and this brought into attention.  they knew they messed up, and they just kept screwing around.

squidsmommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Quoting 2MonstersxMommy:

There is usually 2 teams of nurses/doctors, but other than that everything was done right. Dr's don't like to bother moms who are under extreme stress due to NICU babies. If she has a problem then it's up to her to call the doc. Plus, her doc would call her to schedule an appt sooner or later.

God Bless

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying. How did the doctors react correctly? She shouldn't have been delivered vaginally, then she wouldn't have breathed in the merconium and wouldn't have been life flighted to another hospital. How is it her responsibility to call the doctor if she has a problem? She should have been checked before they released her 4 1/2 hours later. How would she know if she's hemmoraging? So because her doctor would call her sooner or later, it's ok to just leave her, not explain what's going on with the baby, leave her a mess, not check her stitches, not check to make sure she can shower, not make sure she's not bleeding too much, not reassure her that her baby is still alive and will be fine? Just asking because I don't understand you're comment.

squidsmommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Had they done a c-section, the baby could have stayed where she was. I understand that since they messed up there, the baby was transferred, that's fine. She should have been checked BEFORE she was released and if she needed to be, she could have been admitted to the other hospital. The other hospital is only an hour away, not like it's far. It's not the baby being transferred that is the issue, it's all the other things surrounding that that are the issue.

Quoting 2MonstersxMommy:

But if your baby is at a different hospital in the NICU, would you want to be stuck in your own city and not be able to see him/her? This is WAAAAY common-it even happened to me when my baby was transferred.

Quoting OliviasMom0306:

tanya_marieh
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:34 AM

It's ok to deliver with the meconium the nose and mouth just need to be suctioned out and the put the baby in the nicu to be observed.  My DD had meconium and I delivered vaginally, and if I remember right even in my birthing class they say it's fine if they suck everything out before the first breath.

tanya_marieh
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Yes though I do think that they needed to check her though and make sure the placenta was fully out and everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)