Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trepidation about delivery, Could use some advice

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:26 AM
  • 9 Replies

When I got pregnant, I knew EXACTLY where I wanted to deliver. I work at a NICU with some of the most amazing medical staff and I was very excited that I already knew my OB. She is by far the best OB in our hospital with the best experience; rarely do we ever see her babies in the NICU and she is very conservative in her treatment of patients. Needless to say, I really like her and find it very easy to talk to her. However, my problem is the fact that many of my coworkers want to be at the delievery. I'm thankful that so many of them have taken such an interest in my pregnancy however there are just certain parts of my anatomy that I don't feel like sharing with my coworkers... I, of course want them there in case of an emergency or for any issues with the baby... but not as spectators... For the most part, our unit is like a big family and we all get along, which is pretty amazing since its 90 women, and I do not want to offend anyone because they are all professionals and I trust them extensively. Just wondering what I can do or what I could say that would keep them out of my delivery room without offending them...

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
squidsmommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:36 AM

If you are married or have a SO, just tell them that he wants it to just be you and him in the room. If you're not and you have someone else picked out to be with you, tell them that you don't want all those people in, so in order to avoid offending anyone, you don't want any of them there when you deliver. Just tell them you don't want a crowded room, it would be too overwhelming. Let them know that you will be more than happy to welcome them into the room after, when you can visit with them and they can meet the baby.

imechard
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I think that is what your ob and labor and delivery nurses are for.  I would discuss it with my OB and then let her tell them when the date is there. Or, since you say that they are professional, I am sure that they would understand that it is your birth and that you would like more privacy. Personally, I would not care. It is just a vagina and they would not see it as anything but that. You could suggest that since you have decided on an intimate birth that you would like to do a meet the baby party for your unit the day after? I don't know if you have an e-mail system, but that would be a perfect way to deliver that message

Bos_Boo
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Everyone should understand. I didn't allow anyone but my husband, 2 nurses and the midwife in my room. I don't understand why some people think you would want them to see your crotch just because a baby is coming out of it.

Honestly if someone gets upset over that then they have issues. I can't imagine wanting to watch another woman do that, it turned my stomach just watching myself. lol.

MarShy740
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:18 AM

I would be blameing it on my SO but warn him that Im doing that lol.............

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Are you anticipaitng problems with you LOat birth?  If you pregnancy has been normal and you go to term, the chances that you will need anyone from the NICU are slim.  I think you just need to tell them, thank you for your support, but this is something DH and I are going to do by ourselves. 

suebee3
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Be honest and tell them your doctor and whatever nurse is on staff, and whatever family is all you want.  You want it to be a private moment for you.  They should understand!  I

dosthepost
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Just tell them that you're having family only for the big show... If you're comfortable with it, tell them they can visit while you labor. But during childbirth you want only family.

lundaylove
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM

i would just explain that you want it more intimate and more of a family bounding experience. They can be there for laboring and such after the delivery but when it comes time to actually deliver youd rather them not be in the room. i think its totally reasonable and most should understand.

skyler0118
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I have had some complications and next months dr appt is to check for gestational diabetes, which according to our hopital policy, is an automatic NICU delivery and 4 hour observation. I don't really anticipate any out of the norm problems and I've had some friends of mine tell me that I won't even notice or care at that point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)