Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby food?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:46 AM
  • 76 Replies

Kylie is 4 months old and I went and got her some stage one baby food, the simple stuff like bananas, green beans...stuff like that. She has been on single grain cereal for two months now. So My question being is she to young for those stage one baby foods? I can't remember how old Rylan was when I started him on them... But her bottle just doesn't seem to be cutting it. Shes a hungry baby chub.Lol. ;)

I'm Megan, a 19 year old, formula feeding, disposable diapering,sometimes co-sleeping, vaccinating, circumcising, time out giving, spanking when needed, camo wearing, hunting, wife to Brett Walker since 6/6/09, Mommy to Rylan 10/2/08 and Kylie 11/13/09, step mommy to Tyler 6/29/01

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crissy2424
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM

4 months is WAY too young to even introduce baby food! I didn't introduce until 6 months. If her bottle isn't enough I say give her more formula and wait at least a couple months until she hits 6 months. They have Stage 1 Food for 6 month old babies. I wouldn't of even given her cereal at that age. Just be prepared for others to post about how your baby shouldn't even touch anything but formula until like 9 months or something like that. So I would up her formula or just simply talk to your pedi about what is going on with your baby. Good luck, momma!

BaileynMe
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Actually, the ok age is 4-6 months. My pediatrician recommended it at 4 mo because of my daughter's eating habits. I'd bring it up with your dr. 

Usually they want to start the baby on yellow veggies: squash, sweet potatoes, anything yellow (stage 1 of course.) Then you move on to green veggies, and fruits last (that way they don't just eat the sweet stuff.) 

Granted, a lot of women choose not to introduce foods till later. The later you wait within the first year of life, the smaller the chance they'll develop intolerances and allergies. THAT'S why I would talk to your dr first. They've been working with you and your daughter since the first; they'll be able to check her charts and make suggestions based on past development. 

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:02 PM

YES, definitely too early.  Solids shouldn't be started until at least 6 months of age.  I wouldn't even give cereal until about 5 months old, but we skip cereal all together and it doesn't really have any nutritional value to it.  Giving a baby solids at too young of an age can actually hurt them, because they are not capable of digesting anything but breastmilk or formula until about 6 months of age.  If your ped tells you differently, I would seriously question that doctor.

Mrs.Seaman
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:32 PM

My Dr. told me to start cereal when I did. So I'm not worried about that, I just wondered about the other. I googled it and some say 4-6 for solids and others say 6-9. I know Rylan was 4 or 5 months when he started solids, and I know FORSURE he was 2 months for cereal! Thanks everyone.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Breastmilk is all that's recommended for the first 6 months... If that's not available, formula is all they need.

Have you heard of open gut? Basically it means that before about 6 months (longer for formula fed babies) their guts have not sealed. This means they can have an immuno response to the foreign substance as it can actually enter their bloodstream. That can lead to allergies. Early introduction to solids is also directly linked to obesity later in life.

We started at 6 months with mashed avocado and baked sweet potatoes. We never bothered with the cereals as they have no nutritional value and are constipating. So yeah, I would say that 4 months is WAY too young. She's going to be eating solid foods for the rest of her life. I don't get why parents are in such a rush.

angeltanny
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:41 PM

At four months my daughter was eating soft scambled eggs and starting on baby foods. 

elleinad
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Quoting angeltanny:

At four months my daughter was eating soft scambled eggs and starting on baby foods. 

This is terrible advice. All doctors recommend staying away from eggs for the first 12 months because they are a huge allergy inducer.

elleinad
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Four months is far too young for baby food. Wait until 6 months, and that's when rice cereal would have ideally been introduced. Babies do not have the same intestines or intestinal enzymes as adults. We think because WE can handle some strained peas, they can. NO. Their little digestive systems aren't mature enough to handle these things.

By introducing solids early, you bring upon a host of potential problems:

- allergies

- illnesses

- iron-deficiency anemia

- future obesity

Why put that risk on an infant when you are the person entrusted to keep her healthy?

lowrider08
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Wow. I think you are supposed to wait until they are a year for eggs.

Quoting angeltanny:

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Quoting elleinad:

Quoting angeltanny:

This is terrible advice. All doctors recommend staying away from eggs for the first 12 months because they are a huge allergy inducer.

I agree!  Also, there is something about the egg whites that can cause severe intestinal issues.  The egg yoks are ok for a baby that is closer to 12 months, but they actually recommend not introducing eggs at all until after the MMR shot has been administered (which is at 12-15 months).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)