Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sudden unexplained death in children.. a new bill to congress

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM
  • 12 Replies

Please everyone read this and take the time to fill out the letter to send to your congressman. This family in the email below is my sisters sister and brother in law. My sisters nephew died 3 days after his 3rd birthday, a week after my daughters were born. It was a tragic and aweful experience for this family, who loved and cared more about their children than anyone i know. SUDC is a scary and very real thing. Alot of people know about SIDS but they dont think it can happen in older infants and toddlers but its real and it happens. We all want answers, no one should never know why their child dies, not their perfect, seemingly healthy happy energetic 3 yo... Please read this and pass it on. Thanks!!

As many of you know, in January of 2007 our son Timmy died in his sleep at the age of 3. After the 3 months of investigation that followed, there were no answers to why our seemingly healthy son went to sleep one night and never woke up. His death was treated like a SIDS case, but in older children it is called Sudden Unexplained Death in Children.
The email that follows links you the the site of SUDC (which is a support group for parents who have experienced this tragedy). They have the information about a bill that is going before congress. This bill would essentially change the requirements in an investigation of a child who dies like a SIDS death.  If you would like to help support in getting this bill passed, please fill out the letter to email to your congressman.
Dealing with the loss of a child in unimaginable and unexplainable. It is beyond words. But... not having answers to why the child died seems just impossible in this day and age. We would really appreciate it if you could take the time to read this information and send a letter. Consider it an opportunity to do it in memorial of Timmy and as a help to all parents out there.
Ron and Lisa Ulakovits

Subject: Stillbirth/SUID Bill Update
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:07:54 -0600

To view this email as a web page, go here.

February 18, 2010
Contact Your U.S. Senators and Congressmen Right From Our Webpage!
Dear SUDC Families and Friends,

If you've visited our website recently, you may have read about the Stillbirth and SUID Prevention, Education, and Awareness Act of 2009 (S1445/ HR 3212) and our call to action by you to contact your state's representatives in support of this important bill.  

We are now offering you the ability to compose a letter (there's a pre-composed letter waiting for you already) and send it to BOTH your U.S. House Representatives AND your Senators, all with the click of ONE BUTTON. All you need to do is visit our site , enter your personal information, revise the letter (optional), and click "Send Message" -- all the rest is taken care of for you!
We're hoping that by offering this new and easy way to get in touch with your congressmen, more of you than ever before will be able to participate. Remember, this bill is the single most influential piece of SUDC/SIDS/SUID legislation to ever reach Washington, and its passing is an opportunity we can't afford to waste. Please make use of our new web page and send your letter (if you haven't already) today!

The SUDC Program
P.S. Don't forget to tell your friends!

Find us on Facebook!   Visit our Twitter Page!   Visit us on the Web!   E-mail us for more info!

a program of the CJ Foundation for SIDS
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I am so sorry for there loss!  I cannot imagine the horror and pain of walking into your child's room to get them up in the morning and realize they have died.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Wow..Very interesting...I couldn't even imagine losing a child..

God Bless

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:39 PM

it wasnt even the parents who found him, it was their other son.. it was so tragic and they still fear every day. This year was their youngest 3rd birthday and they were a wreck. I dont blame them. Its rough.

Quoting norahsmommy:

I am so sorry for there loss!  I cannot imagine the horror and pain of walking into your child's room to get them up in the morning and realize they have died.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM

by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I am so sorry for their loss.  This is a real fear of mine.  You're right about a lot of people on focusing on SIDS & not realizing it can happen later.  I remember hearing about this a few years ago.  My oldest, until the baby was born, still used a monitor.  I would have loved for both of them to have one but interference is a problem.  I am constantly checking both of them to see if they're breathing.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I am sorry for their loss and im sure it affected everyone else in the family as well. SADS (A program is in place) SADS is a Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndrome, there are alot of children who die every year in their sleep from it, it could be possible that that is what really happened, I have a SADS condition called Long QT Syndrome, mine was very underlying and wasnt found till i was 22 in 2007, some ppl can go almost a long time of their lives without knowing they have anything like that, but i now have a defibrilator and mine actually has caused Ventricular Tachycardia (the worst tachy you can have and can also make you go into cardiac rest) and torsades de pointes (basically the heart has no rythm what so ever.) I would suggest you have your sister look into this, there is tons of info online and you can even sign up to be part of the program. But like I said SADS or SIDS has been one of the biggest concerns for death while sleeping in children, they have been around forever and just in the past 5 yrs or so they have major researches on these.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:15 PM

It would change the investigation how? From what to what?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:17 PM

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.   I feel so horrible just reading about this.  I can't stand to see or hear about a child passing away.  Thank you and your family for wanting to pass this on.  I had no idea of this problem.  

I do have one question... Does this happen to a particular age group, like SIDS is mainly a problem with infants, or is this a problem for any age? 

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)