Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having a problem potty training my daughter need advice please!!!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:32 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok so I have a daughter that is 27 months old and I am having problems potty training her. I showed her that I got her big girl panties and she wanted them on so I took off her pull up and I let her wear her big girl panties. I asked her every like 20 mins baby do you have to go potty? "No mommy" Baby do you want to go potty? "No mommy". I am not sure what to do to get her to want to go potty or to tell me that she has to go potty.  I don't want to give her things like candy just to make her go potty that is not teaching her anything (I don't think) So if there is anyone out there that can help me with my problem that would be great.

Oh ya small detail---- she is with her father 50% of the time and he is not really working on it himself so I am not sure is that is going to make it harder for me?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:37 PM

first off stop asking her. give her drinks, at some point she will pee. when she pees her pants enough she will learn it feels gross. u dont have to give food to teach her but make it fun, leave some toys or books just to use during potty time, even a small radio makes it more fun. also babies pee in diapers, if ur calling her baby she may not want to wear undies

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:40 PM

She may not be ready to potty train yet. She just turned 2 not to long ago. Don't push the issue. She'll let you know when she is ready.

by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I agree with her maybe not being ready.  Sometimes as parents we think our kids have to do things at a certain age but that doesn't mean they're ready only that we are.  I tried the same thing with my son & he'd say no, then pee after the 3rd time I asked.  When he sat on the potty & went he didn't quite understand that he'd went so I abandoned the potty training.  A couple of months later he came & told me he had to go and that was that.  As for the candy that's a rewards system.  It's not that they'll always get it but some use it as a learning process.  Some people do a potty dance.  All I can say is keep talking to her about it & going with her & taking her with you when she goes.  And yes, if she's with her dad 50% of the time and he's not helping then it will be more difficult for you. 

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Nah. just when she is with you, keep asking.  It is all you can do.  Initially, though, I always say the best route is naked. LOL.. You will be washing constantly otherwise.  This also helps her notice the effect of her mess ups easier.

If she isn't verbalizing to you WHEN she needs to go and whethe rit is 1 or 2, the she may not be ready yet. Don't worry, mamma, it happens with time. :)

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Ok, here is what I did, it takes commitment and consistancy but I had my son potty trained in one week at age 2. 

We did the 7 days and naked method.  It is what it sounds like, 7 days, totally naked, lol!  He got the hang of it after one day and now, almost 6 months later, we have only had about 5 accidents. 

The reason it works (IMHO) is because kids don't understand what they are doing, so naked, they see the pee or poop and then begin to understand its coming and how to controll it.  Also, we rewarded with stickers, high fives and The Potty Dance (which is just us doing a crazy dance saying GOOD JOB!)

We also got Once Upon a Potty and other potty books and read them to him for about 2 months before starting each day (many times a day lol!) that way, he kind of knew the process.

Good luck momma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)