Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speech development- normal?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:52 PM
  • 2 Replies

My daughter is 5 months old and barely makes a peep except when she is crying (normal crying...tired hungry bored etc, does not cry for no reason). We will have the odd day every few weeks where she will make 'ahh' sounds a few times, but other than that she is completely silent. A lot of things I have read mention that by now she should be starting to make other vowel sounds (like o's etc) and even be trying to add some consonants into the mix...but shes not making any sounds at all!

We ruled out hearing issues as she responds just fine to noises and I think she might even be starting to recognize her name. I read, sing, and talk to her all day every day to try and get her to make some sounds back, but no luck.

Have any of your kids been quiet like mine? Is this normal?

Jess....Breastfeeding, disposable diaper using, vaccinating, dog loving, PRO-CHOICE, Montreal Canadiens loving, rugby playing, believer in same-sex equality, CANADIAN  Mama to Claire Marilyn, 09/24/09

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
hailnbray
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM

its normal for kids not to make noises at that age. most kids i know are quiet at that age its not till 9-10 months when they really start to make many noises

savedbygrace316
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)