Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flabby Upper Arms...What Can I Do??

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:41 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hey Ladies,

I have horrible nasty flabby upper arms that make me look bigger than I am. I am finally beginning to diet and have  lost three pounds since I started. One problem that I have are my huge saggy upper arms. All of the women in my family (grandma, mom, aunt, and me) all have them. My uncle refers to them as "hi helens." They are horrible, especially because I am only 22 years old.

I dont really excercise but I would like to fix these. Does anyone know what sorts of exercises would help me to get rid of them? Is there anything I can do at home without going to the gym? Thanks!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MamaArtist77
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:10 PM

push ups for your biceps.  Then for triceps, sit on edge of a chair with your legs out straight.  Slide your bum off the chair so you are supporting yourself with your arms (hands should be palm down with fingers curled at edge of chair seat.  Then lower yourself down, hold, the lift back up.  

Also, when you do any exercises like this if you hold for a few seconds when the muscle is tight it will help strengthen the muscle.  Remember to stretch your muscles afterwards as well.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:24 PM

General cardio would help-  walking for a couple miles a day- starting out with a half mile or around the block or so and gradually building up. Exercising to one of the exercise shows on TV or getting an exercise DVD.  To target the triceps-  the back of the upper arm, besides MamaArtist77's suggestions, sitting or standing,   hold a weight such as a bottle of water or a can of beans,  raise your arm above your head, palm facing forward, bend your elbow, bringing the weight down and back, keeping your elbow straight upward, straighten your arm again. Count to 5 coming down and also going up. Start with 10 or so repetitions and gradually build up, increasing the weight, and increasing the numbers, so that you feel the back of your upper arm working. Repeat on the other side.

pixie_trix
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Push ups

Pull ups

Weight lifting (use 5-10lbs to firm and not bulk).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)