Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think my baby might have an ear infection!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM
  • 8 Replies

Im not sure though....Its saturday so the office wont be open til monday. He's had a cold for about a week now and Ive been noticing more than ususal ear wax in one of his ears. When I try to get it out he acts like it hurts and pulls away, but its more crust texture than waxy like normal ear wax is. He's not really any fussier than usual and he's been sleeping great. So Im just confussed.....  Me DS that is 2 now had one before he turned a yr and it was bad! He ran a high fever, couldnt sleep or lay down without screaming, and wouldnt eat. Jayce doesnt have any of these symptoms, and last time he had a ear infection I could it early and got him on antibiotics before it got bad. And with that one he was grabbing his ear constantly and kept tilting his head one way. What do you guys think??? Should I just wait til monday since he's not in serious pain?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mlmartinez
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:13 PM

if he isnt in serious pain and is still sleeping good then I would go ahead and wait until monday...your lucky, DS gets double ear infections when he gets them...three times in the past 7 months :(

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:15 PM

As long as there's no pain, I'd wait. Honestly, it might be an ear infection that hasn't developed enough for antibiotics just yet and the pedi will send you home, only to have you bring baby back in a week to see that 'surprise' it's an ear infection after symptoms have worsened.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:17 PM

If he doesn't have a fever, and if he isn't tugging at his ear, it doesn't sound like ear infection.  Call your doctor's on call line and ask.  I think I'd hold off on taking him in unless he gets a fever or seems to be hurting.

missbritt22
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Thanks for the replies ladies! I think I am going to wait til monday. I just dont understand what the crusty stuff the is building in his ear is.... Guess Ill find out monday!

ThinkTwice08
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:45 PM

95% of ear infections clear on their own. If he is not in any severe pain then I wouldn't worry about taking him in period. If it seems a little irritated you can put a couple drops of warm olive oil with some garlic infused in it to sooth it or Hylands makes a natural remedy for ear drops. :) good luck.

BellaNanook
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM

If you have any question take him in to your doc tomorrow, but don't try to get the earwax out.  Your not supposed to mess with it because you can hurt him or push it in further.  Always best to be safe than sorry, but it does not sound like signs of an ear infection to me.  Does he have a fever? 

kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 11:01 PM

just because the child isn't grabbing at the ears/ fever. doesn't mean that there isn't ear infection. not everyone is the same. my youngest for the most part will run fever when there is ear infection. she has never grabbed her ears not even when her ear drums have ruptured( that stuff is thick and smells horrible) . there is a over the counter ear wax kit that will wash out the ear wax. you are not ever suppose to use a swap to remove. you can do damage to your hearing.

em-jae
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:49 AM

I found out about a home remedy for an ear infection watching the Dr.Oz Show and thought I would pass it on, you buy a fresh garlic clove from the produce section at your local supermarket. You then open the garlic clove up and take just one section, then Peel off the brown outer layer, the piece should be large enough not to get stuck in baby's ear. But small enough to place just inside, sorta like you would a cotton ball, then use a band aid to cover the ear, do this at bedtime, and remove the garlic clove the next morning. Ear infection will be gone according to Dr. OZ. I have not tried this yet, haven't needed to, but if it works I thought how cool is that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)