Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does teething pain result in not wanting to eat and drink?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

My ds has six teeth now, but this am for the first time pushed away his bottle ( he just turned a year old)  At first I was excited because I though he was done with bottle but the sippy was pushed away too.  He was really fussy and it looked like he was having pain in mouth.  After some tylenol he drank all his bottle and had no problem rest of day with bottles, but hardly wanted any solids for the first time too.  So he had four bottles of whole milk instead of three, so I knew he got some nutrition.  He usually eats alot of solids during day.  Even things he loves he pushed away.  Any thoughts on what to do tomorrow?  He has also been getting up at 4:30 am this week which usually is sleeping till 6am.  His naps are still good, slept 3 hrs yesterday and two hours today.  I don't see any teeth poking through surface yet but I think he is getting a third bottom tooth.

tazkitty

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
brettsmomma
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

my son got 7 teeth in almost a two month period.. He had a hard time eating drinking and sleeping.. Just make sure he is getting enough liquids and you will be fine. I found that folding a washcloth and dipping it in pedilite then freezing it helped alot...

CNsg
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Sounds  like an ear infection.  My kids wont eat or drink anything when they have ear infections, and since the ears, nose, throat are all connected symptoms can be tricky!

U.S.ArmyWife
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:02 AM

from a first time mom, my little girl is now almost 19 mos. yes, refusal to eat and drink can be a result of teething. as can being sick. i recommend taking your little one to the doc just to be sure

MrsReesca17
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Yes!  We went through teething hell with my dd.  I was always told that you want the teeth to come in close together so the teething process is over with quicker.  My dd had 4 teeth by her first birthday.  In 2 weeks, she got 7 teeth in, 3 of them were molars.  It was AWFUL.  She wouldn't eat, drink, anything and she had such bad diarrhea that her bottom blistered and bled.  She had all of her teeth by the time she was 18 months old.  The worst 6 months of our lives for sure.  Keep up with the tylenol, and maybe put a wet washcloth in the freezer to give to him to chew on.  Popsicles also help numb the pain.  Good luck!

mamakenzi
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Yes, if your teeth hurt would you would to eat or drink?  I sure wouldn't, as long as he is getting something and it doesn't last more then a couple of days he will be fine.

dilateyourmind
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

yes it can also cause a low grade fever and ear infection, despite what a doctor tells you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)