Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can the ultrasound technician hurt the baby???

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:19 PM
  • 17 Replies

So..I went for my 3d ultrasound today and my baby is in a breech position.  The ultrasound technician had me turn on my side and pressed really hard on my belly!  It made me really nervous...Also, he was jiggling my belly around and tapping on it - almost like he was frustrated that the baby wouldn't move out of that position.  After he was doing this for a while I started getting upset.  He is a certified tech, but I'm wondering if all that shaking, tapping and poking could've hurt the baby.  Could he have been tapping on his head?  Could he have been pressing too hard?  Anyone else have this same experience and felt upset?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjones0461
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:21 PM

No, I have never had that experience, I would have said something. I think everything will be fine.

2MonstersxMommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:22 PM

NO. Trying to move the baby out of breech is VERY dangerous, I would call your doc and ask his nurse about it. But most likely nothing is wrong. Next time speak up!! lol A tech shouldn't make an u/s experience uncomfortable or painful--did you ask what he was doing?

God BLess

Mrs.Loeffel
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:23 PM

i'm not sure about moving the baby when in breech position but I jiggle and push (gently) on my belly all the time to feel baby move lol

leedeea
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:24 PM

I would definately talk to whoever is in charge and let them know what happened..

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Ultrasounds themselves have not been proven safe.

The tapping and prodding probably did would not hurt the baby. It's nice and cushioned in there. Your belly jiggles and moves every time you roll over or take a step.

lillynbraedyn
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM

well i have had a similar experince but i dont think its going to hurt the baby, maybe he was just trying to get the bad to turn so he could get a measurement or sumthing...hopefully things turn out great.

loomis6
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:26 PM

they are perfectly safe and protected in there u have to post pics i have 4 kids never got any 3d sonos i think there soooo cool!

mommyslove0607
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:29 PM

i think that it could... my mother got pregnant when I was thirteen and she was about 4 months along when the tech gave her a vaginal examination... well while doing so my mother complained of the tech being a little rough with her... poking at the baby for a better picture.. well about 3 weeks later she went in again and unfortunately she lost the baby i def think that it had to do with the examination.

bellaamore
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:30 PM

They do that in order to have the baby shown on the moniter just right.  If it was a 3d ultrasound, they have to move it around to get the face, or atleast the side profile.  Yo wouldn't have wanted a shot of the back of his head, would you?

LOL

It would not hurt your baby.  It will be fine.  Wait until labor when the nurses mash your belly and push it around to try and turn him..that's ginna be weird if this was for you.

ThinkTwice08
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Only a midwife or doctor should manually move a baby out of breech position.

I wouldn't do 3 or 4D ultrasounds period since US is only supposed to me used when absolutely necessary according to the manufacturer's information. All these US clinics are simply marketing them as safe when they have never been proven so. US can cause increased heating of tissues (especially the brain) and also cause micro vibrations that can cause bubbles between developing tissues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)