Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

17 year old daughter who is an exchange studnet in France

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:31 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a wonderful 17 year old daughter who is an exchange studnet  in France. She has always been an independant person.She is going to be coming home in July. I cannot wait. I miss her so much. Today she told me that she has an offer to go back to Belgium to be an Au Pair next year. This is with a relative of her host family with whom she has spent some time with. She would go to school and then watch their 8 year old child after school. They would pay for her flight's and she could live there for free. I am really not ready for this. I told her I lost her for 1 year, I don't want her to be gone for another year. We need to think about this. What are your thoughts.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marilyn623
by Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:33 PM

these are opportunities that aren't likely to come again for her. i would let her do what she wants. she's almost an adult

bellaamore
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM

If it were me, I'd let her go.. this is a once in alifetime opportunity.

Honeybun09
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM

I agree with this.

Quoting marilyn623:

these are opportunities that aren't likely to come again for her. i would let her do what she wants. she's almost an adult

Want to join an awesome group? Join TheSweetEscape:Uncensored today!

charlene_kyle
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I would also let her go. This is a great opportunity for her. Of course you would miss her but it would be a shame for her to miss out on such a awesome opportunity.

AshMomToShawn
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I would encourage her to go, if you don't she may resent you later on! It's a rare opportunity.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:38 PM

To me it sounds like a wonderful experience but as a mom i would miss her too much seeing as she was an exchange student for a year.  Would she be an au pair while she attended college?

Hairduct
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:00 PM

My daughter is in 11th grade. She would be a senoir next year. I also told her that I believe that Au Pairs also get a salary even though they stay with the family. I hope this just passes and she later changes her mind. But she is very passionate about her life and usually achieves her goals. Look out for me.

elleinad
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:03 PM

This is part of your kids growing up. Let her pursue her goals and dreams. No one likes it, but it's life.

wells75904
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Me too

Quoting Honeybun09:

I agree with this.

Quoting marilyn623:

Need Help Saving Money? Check out 

Frugal and Thrifty Moms-This group is a place to come to get recipes, advice, to chat, have fun, let your hair down and talk about cooking, recipes, budgeting, menu planning, and all things related to making our households run more smoothly.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Frugal_And_Thrifty_Moms

naturalmom86
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Wow thats a really hard situation. Let her live her dream and live it up OR feel like you are loosing her too soon. I don't know how to help Momma...I am sorry. hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)