Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bottles during the night not cutting it.

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM
  • 11 Replies

my daughter use to only get up once during the night, have a 7oz bottle and go right back to bed but recently she's been waking up atleast twice wanting a bottle each time. should i give her a larger bottle on the first feeding or should i get her all up and feed her oatmeal or baby food? any suggestions at all will be greatly appreciated.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2MonstersxMommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I wouldn't give her more, I would actually give her less. With the second time she wakes up, only give her 5 ozs, then after a few days decrease it to 4, then so on until she is down to only 1 oz and switch it to water.

God BLess:)

Faeriebrat
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:10 PM

My daughter went through this phase.. She was waking up only once a night then it got to the point where she was waking up 2-3 times a night wanting to be fed.. I started to give her a jar of babyfood an hr to an hr and a half before bed..then gave her a bath..and a larger (8oz when she normally drinks 6) bottle of formula with 10cc of rice cereal in it.. now she goes to bed at 8-9 and won't wake up for her next bottle til 5-6a.. How old is your daughter? I heard when they are about to start hitting new milestones that they will start waking up in the middle of the night more (I don't know how much to believe in that but it's what I heard from MIL)

2sdayDayli
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:13 PM

my daughter is 7 months old. i normally put rice in her bottle right before bed every night because i heard that helps alot and it use to but now it's not her thing.

Faeriebrat
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Well I hope she settles into a good sleep sched for you both..Good luck momma!

sugarbooger06
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:31 PM

my son went through the same thing except he would wake up every 2-3 hours wanting a bottle.....so we thought.....we found out that he was only doing that to get us in the room. we would give him an 8oz bottle before bed that had 2oz of rice ceral in it and then when he woke up in the middle of the night,as hard as it was, we did not go in there. he stoped after about an hour. the next night we did the same thing and he cryed for 45 min. each night he cried less and less until he was sleeping 8-9 hours a night. they cry not cause they are hungry but that they want your company. if she crys longer then an hour give her another ceral bottle but don't pick her up don't talk to her and keep it dark. make it as boring as you can and they wont want to do it anymore cause it's not stimulating to them. it is very hard to do as a parent but it is for there own good. good luck and i hope you find what works for you :)

jen6609
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:32 PM

DEFINITELY DO NOT WAKE HER UP!!! If you start waking her up...she will get usedto it no matter what. Like someone said above... try weaning her compltely off the bottle... now I do not know about water.. but i would do like she said until your down to 0. You can try a larger bottle before bed... there is nothing wrong with that. Or, this is wht I personally did... i started just laying with my son and rocked him to sleep instead of giving him a bottle. That way, he doesn't continue to wake up duringthe night... now i can gratefully say,  He goes to bed at 730 and doenst wake up until 830! Good luck to you!

lundaylove
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM

rice cereal is just empty calories, i wouldnt give that to her at all! Give her a lil bit of the baby food before she goes down. When she wakes up, feed her the normal 7oz and if she wakes up again, only give her 4oz. Its probably more of a comfort thing that a hunger thing. Slowly decrease the amount you give her and im sure she'll sleep better.

Kiki7808
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:49 PM

they say that by 6 months (if u were close or full term) they do not need to feed at night anymore and they should be getting what they need during the day. we weaned dd at 7m and by the thrid night she didnt even get up.... its hard but soo worth it. good luck!

2sdayDayli
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:17 AM

thank you for all of your input... i greatly appreciate it. the only problem with letting her cry is that we have people living with us at the moment until they can afford to move to denver so i can't just let her cry or she wakes them up too and they are past the infant years so i feel awful.

sugarbooger06
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Quoting 2sdayDayli:

thank you for all of your input... i greatly appreciate it. the only problem with letting her cry is that we have people living with us at the moment until they can afford to move to denver so i can't just let her cry or she wakes them up too and they are past the infant years so i feel awful.

well i live with my parents and they are way past the infant stage too. the people that are living with you need to understand that you still have to do what is right and sometimes that is letting them cry. maybe you can ask them to bear with you while you break her of this bad habit. you parenting your child should not be hindered by your situation. you got to do what you got to do and once you break her of this bad habit all of you will be able to sleep better. i know exactly how you feel, you feel bad that you are disturbing other people but they need to understand that she needs to fuse it out sometimes. talk to them and let them know what you plan on doing and then just ask him to bear with you while you work through this time in your families life. good luck Hun. let me know what happens cause i know how you feel. message me if you feel like venting or asking questions. -k-

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)