Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

copper iud??? piog

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:52 AM
  • 2 Replies

i just had my first child a month ago, and im thinking of getting the copper iud. can you please share your experiences with this type of birth control? was it painful getting put in? how long did you have it in for? where there any side effects? did u get pregnant while on it? i heard u have to be on your period when u get it put in, is that true? did you like this form of birth control?

please and thank you!:)

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Bubbles318
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:02 AM

I have Paragard IUD, which is copper. I've had it in since June. It was fine to get put in. And no, they actually make sure you're NOT on your period when it's put in.  I've had some side effects that I'm pretty sure are related to it but not positive yet. I've had severe stomach pains and sensitivity to any pressure on my stomach. Intercourse hurts sometimes like..up in my uterus. My periods have gone all outta whack! I actually had to have an ultrasound and trans-vaginal ultrasound last month to check what's been going on. I still have to get those results though. If it weren't for the pain, I'd love it! It lasts up to ten years, which is great...but the pain is sometimes unbearable. However, my pain may not be the IUD. I suppose I'll have to let you know.

Remember, everybody's different. Everybody's gonna react differently to something like copper being inside them. Good luck on your BC quest!

kchaos85
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:17 AM

I have Mirena, and while its a little different, there are some similarities that I can answer some of your questions.

It didn't really hurt going in. It didn't feel any worse than a pap smear. IMO getting checked for dilation every 2 weeks hurt a lot worse than this.

You don't HAVE to be on your period to have it inserted, but they like for you to be for two reasons...1. then they know for certain you aren't PG and 2. your cervix is open when you are on your period so its easier to insert. With me, i hadn't had a period yet because i was BFing so they just had to draw some blood to make sure i wasn't pg.

Mirena is a hormone IUD, so side effects may not be the same, but with Mirena, a side effect is feeling pg a lot. (nausea, etc) Not constantly, but just often enough to keep me on my toes! lol.

With an IUD people often bleed for awhile after placement. I've known women that bled for up to 2 months (not necessarily heavy the whole time). Now that i have my IUD (and have had for 6 months) my periods are very light. 1-2 days of light spotting. Its great.  Plus i like not having to remember to take a pill everyday.

GL!

Kelli (24) Will (25) Benjamin Arthur (June 25, 2009) My little man, born 12:30 am at 9 lbs 12 oz and 20.5 inches long! At 7 months: 25.5 lbs and 28.5 inches!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)